chip cavity in wood screw tip

will the chip cavity in wood screws really not require a pilot hole
i am seeing them advertised as such but i hvae my doubts
i may order some but i do not have any to test and i think for my application the chip cavity might not be enough to go pilot holeless
it is more of a nice to have feature than a must have feature for me
i think the real purpose of the chip cavity is a good idea to allow driving into harder woods but have doubts about no pilot hole required
On 1/8/16 10:45 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "chip cavity." The chiseled point on modern screws it simply meant to shear the wood fibers and help cut threads for the screws. It was never intended to drill a pilot hole, collects "chips," nor eject any wood like a drill bit.
The main reason wood splits from a screw is because it wedges into the wood, between the grain, which causes a split. It's not because the wood is making room for the size of the screw, as there's plenty of room in most woods for the wood fibers to compress to make room for most screws. Many hardwoods are dense enough to benefit from a pre-drilled hole, but it's not always necessary even in hardwoods.
I have, in fact, had occasions where a piece of hardwood split with the use of a pilot hole but *not* when using a chisel-tipped, self-drilling screw. The shearing of the wood fibers is the key to this.
For decades, I've used the old-timer carpenters' trip of blunting the tip of a nail before driving it near the end of a board to keep the board from splitting. This has the same effect of shearing the wood fibers as it enters and travels through the wood, instead of wedging and pushing the grain apart.
In most cases it works. In some cases, it's asking too much. It's the same for modern, self-drilling screws... I rarely ever pre-drill a pilot hole for them.
Please discover punctuation.
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 21:44:24 -0600

that was the term used to describe the cavity at the screw tip
it runs up the length of the tip toward the head think of a pie slice extruded out of the screw shaft to the center of the screw shaft and extending from the tip to 1/4 way up or so
described as a cavity to allow the screw tip to seat better into hard woods

not sure what you mean by chiseled point
On 1/9/16 10:10 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

It's clear you don't know what anyone means by "punctuation."
--

-MIKE-

On 1/8/2016 10:45 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

"Pocket hole screws" require no pilot hole.