Chinese particleboard is bad stuff, boys

Page 2 of 2

cabinets and see that most all std cabinets are at least partly made of particleboard.

particleboard, I snooped around to see how to use it and turns out you can seal it up perty good with shellac, etc., and the gases will be shet up inside.

found out that them rotten Chinese are dumping high-formaldehyde-content particleboard onto us fine US folks. Imagine that!? And after all the Chinese food we eat, too!

account of they was palming it off on the Germuns and the Japunees when those countries wised up and passed laws against it.

shed of it before a 2011 deadline takes effect that wood stop it dead its tracks. But by then, all their bad particleboard will have bin sold here and installed in shelves and kitchens. If you want to check it yoreself, don't call EPA - they just give you a bunch of hooey. Call your states indoor air quality folks - this could be in the environmental or air quality dep or in the health dept.

- 1993 which means they are in compliance with a 13 year old standard, which ain't bad but it's still 13 years old and way behind the findings of field testing.

CHINA WITH HIGH LEVELS OF CANCER CAUSING CHEMICALS JEST A WAITING FOR YEW TO BREATHE IT IN!" so you have to look at it perty close.

seal any un-laminated particleboard with shellac or some other good sealer. I like shellac cause it dries quick and is alcohol based, so you don't have that nice lingering solvent smell in the house ad nauseum.

Cover it up all you want, you still need to process the panels and all the dust collection in the world isn't going stop gases from floating about the shop. Only proper filters will stop those gases. Even 32 mm system gang drilling operations will release trapped gases from under the melamine skin. BTDT. I'm pretty sure by now that they won't have to embalm me after I vapour-lock.

I think those are the 'good' ones. The crappy ones are made with MDF.
--
FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Other way around--MDF is better than particleboard. The only benefit of particleboard is cost.
Chris

What smells worse? Hippopotamus dung or rhinoceros dung? It's all shiat. Having said that, I would select MDF for projects where PB wouldn't do and (as my aunt used to say) vicie versie. Both products disgust me in different ways.

In my experience particle board has better moisture resistance.
That can be a non-trivial issue in a kitchen or bathroom.
--
FF