Chinese Oak plywood at Home Despot???

Page 2 of 2

Great, Just the answer I was looking for. I have an old Ryobi AP-10 planer that still works but I want a larger faster planer. I do have the need to flatten long boards now and was wondering if I should upgrade my jointer first. I have decent results with 4-5' boards also. Since it looks like it would be "iffy" for 8' boards I think I will pursue the sled to flatten boards with a larger planer.
Kevin L. Bowling wrote:

Kevin, I'm in the process of building gear boxes for boy scouts out of the stuff. I've cut 4 sheets into pieces 15 X 30. Of course the thickness is a little shy, but you knew that. I had a couple of places where the oak veneer delaminated for about 1" or so at the cut line. I dealt with it by squirting some glue under the veneer and clamping it back down. Also, there are some pretty noticable stripes of darker colored wood on the face sometimes. It works for gear boxes, but I wouldn't make anything nice out of it.
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I'm curious why you would use oak plywood for Boy Scout gear boxes? Would not a good AC pine/fir plywood work just as well for less?
I am building some Boy Scout gear boxes too, but they will be baltic birch to save on weight. I am using 3/8" and 1/2" BB plywood for mine. I figured the lack of voids and extra plys in the BB plywood would compensate for the reduced strength of thinner plywood.
Our troop used to have big patrol boxes made out of 3/4" plywood, but a previous Scoutmaster burned them due to them being too darn heavy.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

Brian, You caught me. It's not 3/4 ply as I implied, it's 1/2. The ability of teenage boys to destroy things is amazing. One of the design parameters was that the box had to be plenty strong for the two heaviest scouts to sit on - at the same time. One of them easily tops 250. I used the "good stuff" for the same reasons you mentioned. It's flatter, stronger, machines better, holds screws for hinges better, and doesn't require much sanding.
Our previous scoutmaster made some very well-designed patrol boxes that aren't tooo heavy to hold cooking and eating utensils. These boxes I'm working on will hold a camp stove, a lantern, a dining fly and a dutch oven, each in its own compartment. Yes, they are heavy when loaded, but I included enough handles so 4 boys can carry it like a coffin. Or, two of the older ones can carry it. The handles are really just handholds cut into the sides of the box so they don't protrude. All the gear a patrol needs will be in two boxes instead of having them scrambling around gathering gear when we are trying to set up camp in the dark.
DonkeyHody "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

This is a really good idea. Our troop has to dig out lanterns, stoves, and the like in the dark most of the time.
We may be getting a new trailer and I will recommend we try this with the new trailer.
Brian Elfert

Trailer? Trailer?? What kind of scout troop packs stuff in on a trailer?
I suppose you have cots, too?
In our 77 miles/ 7 days at Philmont we packed everything on our backs.
scott (a bit tongue-in-cheek)
Thanks for all your input. I think I'd rather pay more to my old, reliable source than to support that kind of off-shore opperation.. Maybe an American can keep his job (or have the mexicans taken over the lumber industry too?)
Thanks, Kevin