Chineese crap

I used to own an '85 F150. Before I sold it (which I still regret), I replaced the entire brake system, except 80% of the lines for under $250. All the calipers/cylinders, master cylinder, drums/rotors, a bunch of line, pads, shoes, etc.

And I did all the work in the driveway, with a single jack and a few sockets.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Brakes ain't cheap here in Ohio. Replaced brakes on our Ford van and rotors alone were $95 each. Front brake job, including labor was way past $300.

I just replaced the rear brakes on my '99 Cherokee. Drums, shoes, brake fluid and one replacement cable and cylander ran under $180 and that was with a mechanic's business discount.

We got rid of the van (full-size). In some ways we really miss it but in others (gas, parts, etc) we really don't. Had to replace ingnitiion wires every 12-18mos and had to use Ford OEM. All after market wires would start to fail after 6 mos at best. Our last tuneup on it ran $700, including labor. My last Jeep tuneup ran me $87.

I'll give up a full-size van over a jeep anyday based on yearly cost of maintenance and gas use. Van was 13-14 MPG and 20-21 MPG on Jeep and that's using 4-wheel drive. Downside is less space, comfort and overall usabliity. We loved the van for camping and long trips but not local travel.

If you can do the work yourself, you can save some serious money, especially if you can get parts at cost. If not, you better find a really good mechanic. One that does honest prices and good work. And the latter seems to be a dying breed.

Reply to
Casper

Speaking from 34 years professional experience in fleet vehicle maintenance I would seriously doubt that assertion.

Reply to
Larry W

When I first moved to Alabama, from Vermont, I had to have all of the brake radiator lines replaced ($3000). They had never seen anything like that before.

Last summer I had to replace the truck because the rear leaf spring mounts had turned to air. I'd probably been driving for the better part of a year with the springs resting on the frame. Moved much of my house and all of my tools that way.

Reply to
krw

What is a "brake radiator line".

Reply to
Leon

Does the above help? The "radiator" lines included the transmission cooler lines.

Reply to
krw

That helps.

Reply to