China Ply

Page 1 of 2
There has been some discussion about china plywood as opposed to the plywood made in Canada and the U.S. here lately. I had my first experience with it today. As you know most of my items are small, they can be held in one hand. Wood that most of you would discard is often great for my uses. I went to my local lumber yard and ordered a 3/4 sheet of birch plywood for a project, looked at the chinaply and it looked good in the dark confines of the lumber shed, stacked in a rack between other sheet goods. Cost was $30 less then the U.S. made ply, so I told them to load up a sheet. When I got it off the rack and did a quick layout of my project on it I found that 50% of the sheet would be waste, due to plastic wood fills, cracks and other "surface " problems. The veneer on the surface was only a few thousands of an inch thick and poorly surfaced (looked like a bad planner job). Went through about 10 more sheets and all were pretty much the same. Loaded up a sheet of U.S. made ply and gladly paid the difference in price. Bottom line I got better quality wood for less then half the price I would have paid for the chinaply and half the trouble and labor with less then 1/10th the waste.

And in addition to that, I had an allergic reaction a couple years ago to the airborne dust from cutting a sheet of that stuff. (Yeah, yeah, I know, I shoulda been wearing a mask, and I wasn't -- but I've never, ever had that problem with US or Canadian ply.)
--
Regards,

My main gripe is that they warp easily, especially anything under 3/4".
Vic

3/4" also looks like a propeller...
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
RE: Subject
You are not walking in blindfolded.
If you buy that crap, you deserve the screwing you are going to get.
Lew
"Doug Miller" wrote

So, you are allergic to that cow piss glue they use?
"Lee Michaels" wrote

Lewis Black, my favorite rant comedian, says this.
You have noticed that the Chinese keep sending us toys that have mercury and lead in them.
This is because they are trying to KILL US!!
Lee Michaels wrote:

So how many of "us" other than kids do they expect to be chewing on toys? And how many kids have _died_ of chewing on lead paint?
--John

"other than kids"? In 2006, there were approximately 74 million children under the age of 18 in the US. 28% of that number is age 0-4. That leaves over 20 million children in this group you seem to want to minimize. How many million does it take before it's significant in your book?

I don't know. What's the over/under on the number it will take before it's a problem? This might have slipped by you, but Lewis Black is a comedian. His job description includes exaggeration for effect. I suspect the mortality rate due to lead poisoning in this country is very low. However, lead's effects on the central nervous system, especially in children, are well known. I'm not willing to give the Chi-Coms a pass on sending us lead-tainted toys.
todd
todd wrote:

The old "if it only saves one" argument that has been used to justify all manner of government micromanagement.

One man's comedy is another man's idiotic alarmism.

Fine, don't. But I suspect that those clever Oriental masterminds could come up with a better conspiracy than that one.
--John

Interesting that you chose not to respond.

You'll notice I didn't say "if it only saves one". I'm wondering based on your comments how many it would take. I'm still wondering.

weak.
todd wrote:

Interesting that you care what I think.

You keep doing that. Wondering is good for you. As an exercise try coming up with a criterion other than "how many million". Also find out what is the major cause of death in children (and make sure that "children" is defined in a way that excludes those old enough to serve in the military) and tell us how lead stacks up to that and why we should divert energy from addressing that to rail at China.

Yes, it is weak comedy.
--John
Snip
I'm not willing to give the Chi-Coms a pass on sending us

So it is OK if the American importer does not specify or spot check the safety of the products that it imports? Typically manufactured goods meet the importers criteria. I strongly suspect that the American importers sorta looked the other way and or went with the "Don't ask, Don't Tell" guidelines when the price quotes were received. After being caught it was easy to blame the Chinese because most people probably believe that American Importers don't specify how their products are manufactured.

You have a point there, so don't buy from those American Improters that don't care either.

They don't die, John, they slow down intellectually. Look around.
"Charlie Self" wrote

LMAO (that should probably be crying my ass off) ... add politicians, and teachers educated beyond their intelligence who are more interested in perks/working the system than teaching, and our kids/country don't have a chance!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07
Charlie Self wrote:

At what?
--John

I have absolutely NO idea what spurned this on:
Oh oh oh ohoo sheet of china ply Oh oh oh ohoo sheet of china ply
I could escape this feeling, with my china ply I feel a wreck without my, sheet of china ply I hear her heart beating, loud as thunder Saw the stars crashing
Im a mess without my, sheet of china ply Wake up mornings wheres my, sheet of china ply I hear hearts beating, loud as thunder I saw they stars crashing down
I feel an tragic like an marlon brando When I look at my china ply I could pretend that nothing really meant too much When I look at my china ply
I stumble into town just like a sacred cow Visions of swastikas in my head Plans for everyone Its in the white of my eyes
My sheet of china ply You shouldnt mess with me Ill ruin everything you are Ill give you television Ill give you eyes of blue Ill give you men who want to rule the world
And when I get excited My sheet of china ply says Oh baby just you shut your mouth She says ... sh She says She says
And when I get excited My sheet of china ply says Oh baby just you shut your mouth And when I get excited My sheet of china ply says Oh baby just you shut your mouth She says ... sh She says
Oh oh oh ohoo sheet of china ply Oh oh oh ohoo sheet of china ply Oh oh oh ohoo sheet of china ply Oh oh oh ohoo sheet of china ply Oh oh oh ohoo sheet of china ply
Robatoy wrote:

I dont think Bowie is a woodorker.
Nice try though! Andy
--
:: Clever Sig here ::

Could be.....I think Bowie can do anything.Saw him in his last concert before he had vapour lock and had his ticker rebuilt.