Child safe finish

I am making children's puzzles and up to this point I have used paraffin wax as a child safe finish. Is there a better way ? Say wipe on poly or something inexpensive I can use that wont hurt the little ones when they run around the house with a third of a rabbit puzzle hanging out of their mouths ? Puff

Do a Google search; this has been discussed here several times in the last six months or so.
BY LAW all finishes sold in the United States are child safe when cured. That being said, I use the water based finishes whenever I make an "eatable" toy, just feel safer. You can get an MSD sheet for any finish you use and should have them on file if you sell the toy (they have to give you one it is the Law) Ask for one when you buy the finish or call the manufacture for one, it will give you all the pertinent information for the product.
I am making children's puzzles and up to this point I have used paraffin wax as a child safe finish. Is there a better way ? Say wipe on poly or something inexpensive I can use that wont hurt the little ones when they run around the house with a third of a rabbit puzzle hanging out of their mouths ? Puff
I'd rather a non-edible finish. That way it'd go through untouched like the plastic it is.

shellac
wrote:

a child safe finish. Is there a better way ? Say wipe on poly or something inexpensive I can use that wont hurt the little ones when they run around the house with a third of a rabbit puzzle hanging out of their mouths ?

The great guru Dredsner (sp?) hold the opinion that finishes that are cured are all safe if not ingested in outrageous amounts. even shellac will kill you if you drink it like water. That said. Shellac and Water based finishes are usually first on the "good idea" list
--
Young Carpenter