Child safe finish

I am making children's puzzles and up to this point I have used = paraffin wax as a child safe finish. Is there a better way ? Say wipe on = poly or something inexpensive I can use that wont hurt the little ones = when they run around the house with a third of a rabbit puzzle hanging = out of their mouths ? Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Shellac is the classic child-safe finish. Reputedly, others are safe as well. Do a Google search; this has been discussed here several times in the last six months or so.

Doug Miller

shellac

a child safe finish. Is there a better way ? Say wipe on poly or something inexpensive I can use that wont hurt the little ones when they run around the house with a third of a rabbit puzzle hanging out of their mouths ?

Reply to
Bridger

I'd rather a non-edible finish. That way it'd go through untouched like the plastic it is.

Reply to
George

The great guru Dredsner (sp?) hold the opinion that finishes that are cured are all safe if not ingested in outrageous amounts. even shellac will kill you if you drink it like water. That said. Shellac and Water based finishes are usually first on the "good idea" list

Reply to
Young_carpenter