chifforobe castors

I have an old chifforobe made in the 1920's the wood wheel castors are broken/wornout.
I considered fitting it with modern ball bearing castors, but the idea doesn't appeal to me. Kinda like putting a CD player in a 1905 Pierce Arrow.
The other option is to repair the old wheels, this is doable, but I am curious as to what kind of wood to make the replacement wheels from.
Hickory, hard maple, lignum vitae ?
Any ideas?
basilisk
basilisk wrote the following on 10/15/2012 10:59 AM (ET):

Google - wooden casters -, then click on images.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:25:52 -0400, willshak wrote:

Thanks, I falsely assumed that the world had moved on from wooden wheels but apparently a good number of places still sell them.
basilisk
On Monday, October 15, 2012 8:03:33 AM UTC-7, basilisk wrote:

I would (wood) go with QS White Oak. Partly because I love it but stability and hardness are also a consideration. Also the color because whaterver you stain will wear away regardless. I've ssen lots of old machinery built with white oak parts.
"basilisk" wrote:

---------------------------------------- Lignum vitae would be my first choice followed by Hickory and perhaps Beech.
"Ironwood" comes to mind but it is very tough to machine and as I understand it there are several varities based on local and is probably best left to fence posts.
Lew
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 09:43:22 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

LV my first choice as well, and I do have a local source. There is a local company that stocks it for saw guides.
The available new offerings for wood castors do not specify a type of wood, maybe they're good, maybe not.
basilisk
On 10/15/2012 11:43 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The particular "ironwood" would make a difference. Ipe, relative inexpensive and readily available is an ironwood and relative easy to machine. Commonly found and or sold as 5/4 1x6x96 decking material.
Ironwood varies by state or locality. It is the term that is given to the hardest, toughest wood there.
Generally it is really tough like you say.
Martin
On 10/15/2012 3:10 PM, Leon wrote:

basilisk wrote:

If you can get it big enough, lignum vitae. Wears very well, still used for shaft bearings in boats. I use it for the guides in my bandsaw. Ipe would workwell too and is more readily available than lignum vitae.
Next best IMO would be hickory.
--

dadiOH
"basilisk" wrote in message
I have an old chifforobe made in the 1920's the wood wheel castors are broken/wornout.
I considered fitting it with modern ball bearing castors, but the idea doesn't appeal to me. Kinda like putting a CD player in a 1905 Pierce Arrow.
The other option is to repair the old wheels, this is doable, but I am curious as to what kind of wood to make the replacement wheels from.
Hickory, hard maple, lignum vitae ?
Any ideas?
basilisk
I used oak for wheels on riding toys I made for our young boys.(over 42 years ago) and slipped rubber inner tubes on them so as not to mar our wood floors. now the grand kids have used them. WW