Chick Songs That I Like Singing

Page 1 of 3
Was listening to Joni tonight and singing along to Carey, and it made me think about the chick songs that I like singing to.
Sticking with her for a few, I'd say that, Help Me, is one and that ,Both Sides Now, is another.
Martha and the Vandals (please do not correct this to Vandellas, you clearly do not understand) provides me with, Jimmy Mack, Heat Wave, My Boyfirend's Back, Sweet Darlin'.
Aretha kicks in with, You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman, (don't be embarrassed - I know you sang to it), Chain Of Fools, Respect (yep, that one too, I heard you.)
That funny looking beautiful woman who sang, Girls Just Want To Have Fun. I wish she was still around.
And that little girl who sang about, All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun.
Well, that's it for my feminine side tonight.
I'm going to listen to a little Led Zep to clear my palate.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

Phoebe Snow's debut album jumps to mind, Linda Rondstadt's 'Best of' CD and Carly Simons, too, for that matter.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Tom Watson wrote: > Was listening to Joni tonight and singing along to Carey, and it made > me think about the chick songs that I like singing to. <snip>
After the Kingston Trio, it is all down hill.
Gard is gone, Shane had a heart attack in 04 and is now retired, and Reynolds also appears to have some serious medical problems.
All that said, the Kingston Trio continues.
Lew

Scotch and soda, mud in your eye. Baby, do I feel high, oh, me, oh, my. Do I feel high. Dry martini, jigger of gin. Oh, what a spell you've got me in, oh, my. Do I feel high. People won't believe me. They'll think that I'm just braggin'. But I could feel the way I do and still be on the wagon.
All I need is one of your smiles. Sunshine of your eyes, oh, me, oh, my. Do I feel high.
People won't believe me. They'll think that I'm just braggin'. But I could feel the way I do and still be on the wagon.
All I need is one of your smiles. Sunshine of your eyes, oh, me, oh, my. Do I feel higher than a kite can fly. Give me lovin', baby. I feel high.
Robatoy wrote:
> > Scotch and soda, mud in your eye. > Baby, do I feel high, > oh, me, oh, my. Do I feel high. > Dry martini, jigger of gin. > Oh, what a spell you've got me in, > oh, my. Do I feel high. > People won't believe me. > They'll think that I'm just braggin'. > But I could feel the way I do > and still be on the wagon. > > All I need is one of your smiles. > Sunshine of your eyes, > oh, me, oh, my. Do I feel high. > > People won't believe me. > They'll think that I'm just braggin'. > But I could feel the way I do > and still be on the wagon. > > All I need is one of your smiles. > Sunshine of your eyes, oh, me, oh, my. > Do I feel higher than a kite can fly. > Give me lovin', baby. I feel high.
Shane's solo performance, the only one by a trio member.
Supposedly Sinatra was asked about covering S&S and indicated Shane had set the mark for that song by which all others would be measured. He declined.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: | Tom Watson wrote: | > Was listening to Joni tonight and singing along to Carey, and it | made > me think about the chick songs that I like singing to. | <snip> | | After the Kingston Trio, it is all down hill. | | Gard is gone, Shane had a heart attack in 04 and is now retired, and | Reynolds also appears to have some serious medical problems. | | All that said, the Kingston Trio continues.
Here's to the maid who steals a kiss And stays to steal another...
If you don't look around You won't see me a-goin' - See me a-goin' that way...
(songs I sometimes find myself singing in the shop)
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Except for Bud and Travis. Bud's gone, but Travis Edmonson lives in the Phoenix area (his number's in the book!) and remains friends with Shane.
Bob
Damn near impossible to listen to Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby Mcgee" (and a couple others) without joining in.
B.

The Roches "Hammond Song". Tom
[snip]

Ohhh she still is. Immortalized on the Wall/Concert in Berlin doing a bang-up job for Roger Waters.
Time After Time.... True Colours... she's a hottie alright.

No chick sings like Gwen Stefani, although I was amazed by Christine Aguilera's ability at the Grammies. Gwen with Reel Big Fish doing Come On Eileen..... try that on for size.
But Joni's version of Twisted is hard to beat.
...now I think about it.. there are a lot of really good chick-singers I like to bellow along with.... did I mention Joss Stone?

Cindy Lauper.
NuWave Dave in Houston

wrote

What a hoot. Now that was not a political ploy by the entertainment industry was it. LOL

Maybe not intentionally. But the music industry has always leaned heavily to the left. Problem is, that this time their pot-shots at the right, are right on target. It will take a long time before the conservatives are going to get our good name back.
It's a shame.
Robatoy wrote:
> It will take a long time before the conservatives are going to get our > good name back.
It won't happen until their religious and the political views are once again separated.
The forefathers had it right.
Religion and politics don't mix.
Lew
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Naaahh ... what is a shame, is that, Liberal or Conservative, only those who remember Laura Lynch and Robin (forget her last name) in the original group really know how watered down musically they've become.
I'd played a few gigs with Laura and her then boyfriend, Dave Peters (now deceased), just as the original DC's were forming but hadn't gone on the road yet, and the four girls got together for one of their first rehearsal in Laura's apartment here in Houston just as David, Laura and I were finishing up doing the same ... if you never heard that iteration, you've never heard THE Dixie Chicks!
I'm glad for the group, but just wish it could have been for the gutsy music and killer harmonies in the original, instead of the "pop smooth" of the latter.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

I'd love to have heard the original.
John Phillips from the Mamas And The Papas often talks about "Harvey" showing up when the harmonies were spot-on angelic. Graham Nash from The Hollies started calling those magic harmonies "Harvey" as well. Barbershop has lots of Harvey moments...and man, is it sweet when he shows up. Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks had their moments. I wore that record straight through so you could hear the other side.
Harvey seldom appears on record. Mamas And The Papas.... what a sound. Not from this planet.

I had all of their recordings, at one time. Moving and raising kids sometimes gets stuff put away.
"I Scare Myself" came immediately to mind, and may stay all day.
Patriarch, who's got a lot of these recordings mentioned in this thread, needing listening to again...

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Aaahh yes ... Maryann Price, appropriate to the thread!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07