Chicago plywood source

I picked up some plywood at the local borg a few days ago. The selection was abysmal. They had a not-very-attractive pallet of 3/4" chinese ply that was on sale for $24 a sheet. I picked up three of them for shop projects. The only 1/2" ply they had was the oak plywood at $38 a sheet. They also had no 3/8" plywood other than cdx and this syp beadboard stuff for wainscoating I think. Anyway, does anyone know a north chicago/southern wisconsin source for plywood that has a good selection and reasonable prices? thanks
brian
brianlanning wrote:

Try these guys:
Owl Hardwood 926 South Graceland Des Plaines, IL 60016
Work Phone: 847.824.5025 FAX: 847.824.7503
They make their own cabinet grade plywood and have a very large stock of hardwoods of all varieties from common to exotic.
They also have a place in Lombard IIRC ...
I have always been very happy with the materials and service there, but prices for this stuff can be pretty high.
P.S. Note to the Usual Suspect: See, I contribute *ON* topic when I have something worthwhile to add...

Villa Park, I think, unless they've moved. On St. Charles Rd., just east of where it breaks off of North Ave.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Go to the Desplaines store and drool all over the 14' by 18" wide piece of 6/4 natural edge bubinga they have leaning against the wall.
Don't think they've priced it yet, but if you have to ask how much it is......
jc

noonenparticular wrote:

Drool? Owl Hardwood is THE place to get wood<g>

Lombard, DesPlaines and Oak Lawn.
http://www.owlhardwood.com /
IIRC, there was ANOTHER place out there in the far western burbs that dealt, I think, exclusively in plywood. Illinois Plywood or something like that? For some reason I think it was on the south side of Roosevelt Rd.
Haven't been there for a good twenty years or better though so it's likely gone or moved as the urban sprawled<g>
Couldn't agree more. Not sure if you understood that I was referring to the DesPlaines Owl location or not.
Every time I come back from that place, SWMBO judges the damage by how low the van is riding to the ground!
jc

noonenparticular wrote:

I understood all right. Just wasn't thinking too clearly though as I'd just found out that MY SWMBO was apparently married to you as well<g>
Nice to see that they continue to do well and grow. My first "fix" from Owl came in the early 80's when they were just starting out on Algonquin Rd (Rt 62) east of UAL HQ in those starter commercial condos.