cherry table top

Im just about ready to start finishing a cherry dining table and thought i would ask for suggestions from the rec on what to use. It will be an every day use table and the base will be painted a satin black.
since this table will be used daily I was wondering if it will have light spots on it from things left on top and the light not hitting it. in that case should i use color it with amber shellac or stain and use something that will inhbit the light from changing the color?
thanks for any info
Jimmy
three kids, two dogs, a gecko and whatever is living in my sons room
Sure, use _gloss_ polyurethane for durability and let it color. you'll not want to use a tablecloth unless it covers the top entirely, because it might leave ghost lines. Or, use a lacquer, if you have spray equipment. Shellac won't really do for a final, given its vulnerability to heat, alcohol, ammonia which is found in many cleaners, and standing water. .

every
that