Cherry Prices?

I'm planning to make 2 or 3 bookcases. I would really like to make them out of Cherry but the plans call for 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (both sides visible), 35 board feet of 4/4, and 1 sheet of 1/4 plywood (1 side visible).

So far I've seen prices of the 3/4" Cherry plywood at around $96 and 4/4 lumber running at around $4.50 per board foot. At these prices, it'll cost me almost $400 apiece just for the wood! This is in east central Iowa. Most of the stuff I've built lately has been out of oak. Have I just had my head under a rock or is Cherry this expensive everywhere else too? Walnut plywood is about the same price although the lumber is around $4.00/bf.

Kevin

Reply to
klklimes

Sounds about right to me. Good wood is very expensive!

Bill

Reply to
WORSS

WW is not a cheap hobby. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. You can buy bookcases for less than $100 that will hold books.

I paid over $300 for wood to make a Tudor style bench. I could buy a bench that would hold my butt off the ground for less than $100. I later saw the same bench in a retail store for $1000; then I felt better about what I did.

Just check the price of cherry ply at my local dealer. $96.60 a sheet here in CT. 4/4 Cherry is $6.10. MDF is only $20 a sheet ;) Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Those prices are comparable to CT.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I don't think they're using up all the cherry pywood in Iraq. Hey! I just thought of a corny joke: What's Saddam Hussein thinking right now? Answer: This time last year Iran Iraq. Sorry.

Reply to
BUB 209

=================================== I filled my lumber racks with lumber and even purchased a 12x16 foor shed and filled that sucker with lumber BEFORE I retired...But now 5 years into retirement I am darn near out of material... Those prices are pretty close to what I will have to pay shortly...I cheated on an entertainment center I build last year and used a lot of good plywood that I had to stain and used walnut face frames etc... Honestly the agrivation with using stains was not worth the money I saved... although It did come out just fine... BUT I can see me with a shop full of equiptment and absolutely no lumber nor money to purchase lumber in another 10-15 years... IT is a problem...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

I was planning on having woodworking as a hobby for when I retire in 20 years. Should I start a special investment plan for funding my wood supplies at that time? ;)

Rich

Reply to
RKON

Reply to
Phisherman

Just before Christmas, I picked up a few 8'x4' sheets of 5/8" VC G2S cherry plywood for CDN$60/sheet (~US$40) at Rona's (a Canadian version of the BORG). They normally don't carry cherry ply at all, but they brought in a special shipment. Hopefully the weather will clear up in the next day or two so I can take my trailer over and pickup some more.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

Here in Texas, I'm paying $97.22 for 3/4" A1 lumber core plywood, and $54.88 for 1/4".

Your 4/4 prices are lower than mine, however.

Reply to
HDHendrick

If I were you, I be slowly refilling the shed with cheap green lumber now. Hopefully it'll be dried out by the time you run out of your other stock.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

I've got some air dried cherry in your area I would sell cheap. There is about 200BF (rough estimate) of it and I'll take $250 for the lot. It was cut in 1999 and stickered in a barn up until last week, now it is on a hayrack and being moved about the farm. 4/4 and 8/4 random length/width/grade. Cash only, and you have to do all the loading yourself.

Located near Calamus.

E-mail me if you are interested.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to