Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

Page 1 of 5
I recently finished a side table and I filmed the build process if you're interested in watching.
This was my first time using lacewood and I was happy with how easily it worked for such a highly figured wood.
Criticism ok.
Pictures: Bottom right titled "Side Table in Cherry/Lacewood" (three pictures) http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage1.php
Video: Pt 1 http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=v89 Pt 2 http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=v90 Pt 3 http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php?video=v91

Looks nice. I have seen lacewood before.
How durable/hard is it? Also how expensive is it?
On Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:40:39 PM UTC-4, Lee Michaels wrote:

I got it from Woodcraft as my lumberyard does not carry it approx $9/bdft
It seems hard enough but feels deceivingly light when held. A pleasure to work and has a strange smell when cut.

Very nice and I like your wooden pull. Did you make that too? And Is it just the lighting in the picture that makes that second top board to appear with so much contrast to the other top boards?
On Monday, July 1, 2013 8:53:12 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Thank you. Yes I made the pull. The contrast isn't as dramatic in person but the grain does vary.

Wasted enough time on this so here's my final comment. You expect some fool to give you $1,200. for that "table?" You'd be lucky to get $120. What color is the sky on your planet??
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:40:01 PM UTC-4, tommyboy wrote:

You felt so insecure about yourself after I ripped on your projects that you felt the need to browse around my website.
I've come across your type before. You've probably been to my website in the past. And I'm guessing that your initial tantrum has more to do with jealousy than an honest critique of my projects.

Now play nice. I can assure you that there are a lot of people that will pay a very large sum of money for a piece, especially if it fits a specific need. Been there done that..

Yeah, asking for criticism (quote: Criticism ok) then throwing a temper tantrum when criticism is received (albeit snarky and uncalled-for criticism) doesn't leave an observer with a good impression of Brian.
Definitely a shaker-style, minimilistic piece. I do mostly shaker-style stuff myself, and there's nothing wrong with that style of woodworking.
As for criticism, the proportions of Brian's side table didn't look natural to me, but the lacewood and cherry looked nice and the workmanship was certainly workmanlike. Bookmatching the top would have added to the effect of the piece, I think, perhaps by resawing the solid lacewood into veneers.
But if Brian and his cohort like it, that's really all that matters.

Indeed.
On 7/2/2013 5:25 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I am probably the worlds worse for firing back but he really did not have a leg to stand on.

Absolutely agree and, ;~),I noticed that there was a more reasonable amount of glue used on this "educational episode".

Well it was his piece and it looked nice but going a bit further I would not have used the lace on the top at all, rather I think it would have had a more balanced look hed he used the same design and used the lace on the aprons and drawer front. Used cherry for legs, drawer pull, and top. But that is just my way of thinking and really did would not have been a suggestion for better design.

Exactly! Only when you sell your work do you need to "worry" about what anyone else has to say.

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:03:13 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Educational episode deserves to be in quotes? Nice one Leon.

On 7/2/2013 7:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Exactly, credit deserved and to be brought into recognition.

ism)

Well, I was actually the first one who jumped in with a "Flame" for Tommy b oy, who had actually encouraged me to do so with his comment about expectin g flames for his post. Maybe I encouraged Garage boy by coming down on his side, which isn't always the case, I have trashed his stuff before as well.
Tommy has the right to his opinion, and criticism was requested but I felt it was over the top in terms of harshness (is that a word?)and more denigra ting than necessary so I jumped in to provide some defense, assuming Garag e boy would likely not.
I never did see Tommy's work (can't see fricking ABPW via my Google reader) and I loved Sam Maloof, he was a sweet and talented man and I learned a fe w things from him over the years but I have no love for that swoopy design type stuff so likely would be unimpressed.

I don't look at workmanship based on my taste, I look at it purely as what went into it.
Tommy Boy produced some nice work.
I was not impressed by Brian's work, there were a few things that I found out of place, the lacewood was beautiful, but not well done, since the glue up put a piece that distracted.. If I had no more lacewood, I would have move that to the outside where it would be less noticable instead of breaking up the pattern.
I am troubled by some of Brian's machine work, especially tablesaw work. I keep seeing the leading edge lifting, and in my opinion, his blade is too low, leading to some of the burning we see, and a huge potential for kick back. I keep the blade high, except with ply to avoid the potential, and the wood near the blade never lifts..
As far as Brian's design, I had no problem with it, only the execution.
--
Jeff

On 7/3/2013 11:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:

I think I would have cut the beveled edge on the TS instead of using the tilted router table fence.
On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:25:37 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Why? It may be a faster maneuver but you need to swing your blade over and re-align to 90 degrees. (Here is where you tell me you trust your positive stop and we have a lengthy discussion about sawdust gumming up the works. )
Most woodworkers despise tilting their blade.
On 7/3/2013 1:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote: ...

From what data did you create that "statistic/fact"????
I, for one, do it quite frequently and like Leon trust the stops (and have never found reason not to).

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:17:50 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

It is admittedly a based on limited data from reading forums and commentary.
Take it for what it is but it shouldn't come as a shock.

Good on you.

On 7/3/2013 1:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Which is, imo, worthless...unless one has a saw that is poorly made so that stops aren't reproducible--in which case it probably isn't very easy to rely on it for anything else, either.
I don't see why it shouldn't (be a surprise/shock, that is)...as I think we've discussed before, there's a whole history of woodworking long before the 'net and forums even existed and it seems most of the ones around now are pretty much only relatively newcomers w/ little if any actual production experience.
On 7/3/2013 1:44 PM, dpb wrote:

Brian has a perfectly good saw, he is just not comfortable in trusting his stops.