Cherry - Finishing, Staining Suggestions

Anyone care to share your finishing suggestions for Cherry? Natural/light and dark/stained finishing techniques?
--
Rumpty

calmly ranted:

Waterlox Original, satin, 4 rubbed coats. Degloss with Liberon 0000 steel wool and Johnson's wax as needed.
Thou shalt not stain cherry, Rumpty. You know that, you heathen bastid. ;> If you want it darker, expose it to a wee bit of sunlight or a UV lamp.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

Sherwin Williams. Roll or brush on depending on the texture desired.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

bastid. ;> If you want it darker, expose it to a wee bit of sunlight or a UV lamp.
Are you calling my customers bastid's? If MY bastid customer wants a dark stained cherry, that's what they get! Next time you can't pay the mortgage, tell your mortgage company, I DON'T STAIN CHERRY!
LOL, thanks! VBG!
--
Rumpty

calmly ranted:

If you need mortgage money (mine's paid off), run a class enlightening the heather bastids about darkening cherry -without- condemning themselves to an eternity in Hell. $100 a head should cover their "insurance". Can I get an "Amen"?
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development

For lighter finishes, I prefer spraying tinted lacquer or shellac toner coats to avoid blotching. To bring individual boards closer together, I'll use light colored Solar Lux dyes as the first step. A dewaxed shellac barrier coat goes on after the dye, over the whole piece.
For darker finishes, I'll Solar Lux the whole thing with a yellow or pink dye, depending on the original wood color, barrier coat it, and add a Behlen's (or Mohawk) wiping pigment stain, which is again followed by a barrier. These steps should leave the wood lighter than desired. The final color is arrived at with toners.
Practice with samples to get the dye / pigment combos that work for you. It's weird dyeing a piece pink or yellow, but it works out well in the end.
Stay away from medium and dark colored dyes at the beginning to avoid blotching.
Barry
I like Danish oil.

I was gonna use Tung Oil on a project I'm doing now. Bad choice? Where does one get WaterLox?
-Jim
On 12 Oct 2004 12:56:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@jimryan.com (jim ryan) calmly ranted:

I got mine at Hine. Oops, no, that's an old LoCal ad.
www.waterlox.com is the mfgr, but I got mine from Russ at www.woodfinishingsupplies.com both times I ordered it. Click on Oil & Varnish, then page down a bit.
I'm going to get a gallon of medium sheen and a pouring lid next time, then decant into smaller quart cans.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Rumpty wrote:

I generally let the piece stand in the direct sun for several days (rotating frequently) to develop a nice, deep color. My usual finish is then Deft satin lacquer, sprayed on. I put several coats on, sanding all but the last with a green ScotchBrite pad. I like the feel of this product, and it seems to protect the wood quite well.
Walt
How does spraying Deft, primarily designed to be applied by brushing, due to it's formulation, work for you? Any reason you don't use a traditional nitro lacquer in lieu of Deft?
David