Cherry Finish-How long to darken?

Page 2 of 2

Doesn't that start with "once every hour for a day...?"
-Chris
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:33:46 -0500, "George"
Arrogance in a surgeon maybe,,,arrogant pilots are the first ones to ignore ATC's and end up making an aluminum shower. big difference between arrogance and confidence
i was visiting my wife at work a while ago. some of you know she's an ATC, but anyhow... i am sitting there and i hear one of the other controllers tell a plane he needed to circle around the outer marker due to weather. . . he replied in a REAL snippy voice " you know, it costs my company a thousand dollars every time i need to make a circle up here. . ." to which the controller replied, "so gimme 3 grand worth"
Inside the cockpit, arrogance is willing to make the decision. What kills is indecision as altitude decreases. Traffic control is for protection against others, not self-survival.
Hate to tell you how many "arrogant" controllers there are (were) out there.
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

When my customers ask "Can you match..." my answer is NO! I have a no stain match policy and have had it for years. I don't lose much business because of this policy. The little bit that I lose, those customers are going to be more trouble than they are worth.
--
Rumpty

I don't think it's the UV, because I've had a cherry cabinet that I made darken in the past year. And from what I understand, glass blocks all UV (that's why you don't get a sunburn from sitting in your house on a sunny day). So it's some other wavelength that does it to the cherry.
I don't know what you should tell him, as I don't know your relationship. But I would explain that the best pieces darken naturally over time, and if you stain it, the value won't be as great.
In addition to all the wisdom floated your way... there is one more thing: the color will vary from tree to tree or atleast grove to grove. My wife's cherry exterior cedar-lined chest is 4 years older than the her rocking chair. The chair is significantly darker than the chest. The chair is 5, the chest is 9. Both with the same finish (Watco Natchural). Both live in about the same light level -- the chest probably sees MORE light. The chair keeps getting darker and has reached a magnificent deep red. The chest color is pretty stable. When it was fresh cut the chair was distinctly red. The chest was distinctly pink. This is why one attempts to buy by the flitch when building a large project.
Explain to your friend that trees have genetic variability just like his patients. Additionally, trees and people are also products of their environments. Trees only have access to the minerals in the soil.
The only way to guarantee a color match is to paint.
Good luck,
hex

-30-