Cherry darkens in sunlight?

Last year I built a cherry chest for our bedroom. It has darkened pretty much like it should.
Today I was digging through my cutoff bin, looking for some scrap ash; the bin is in a basement corner, under a shelf. It gets no sunlight, and very little light of any kind.
I found some cutoffs from the chest that are the exact same color as the chest. Explain that.
As a result of a naturally occurring chemical reaction. All cherry needs is oxygen and time.
--
PDQ --
| Last year I built a cherry chest for our bedroom. It has darkened pretty | much like it should. | | Today I was digging through my cutoff bin, looking for some scrap ash; the | bin is in a basement corner, under a shelf. It gets no sunlight, and very | little light of any kind. | | I found some cutoffs from the chest that are the exact same color as the | chest. Explain that. | |

No need to explain if you'd studied wood. Aging is merely accelerated by high-energy UV, not cause by it, and can be accomplished by using a chemical reaction - e.g. lye - to do the same.
After a period of time you'll end up with deep aging, where the inside of the board has pretty much the same color as the surface. Takes ten/twelve years, but I've got some #1 common I bought 20 years ago for $250 MBF that's red through and through. Works a bit more brittle, though.

Explanation: scrap bin not air tight.
Brian.
I can't explain it like others did; but what you're describing is what I am beginning to expect with cherry (that light is not what makes it darken). I'm in the process of setting up an experiment where I take 4 strips of cherry (cut from the same board) and leave part natural, put water based poly on part, and put oil based poly on part of each in the same way. I'm going to put one strip in the dark, one exposed to incandenscent light, one exposed to fluorescent light, and one exposed to sunlight and see what happens. I'm also going to put a strip of tape across each section of each strip to affect how much air hits the surface.
Charles Lerner toller wrote:

I will look forward to your results. People say it is light, it is air, it is magic...

toller wrote:

It's all of those and more... :)

Cherry is magic itself. And working with good cherry for furniture is so much better than many other common woods that it's almost like cheating.
Patriarch, a Californian who pays a premium when he buys cherry...

(Cue Twilight Zone theme...)