Cherry Counter

We are in the process of renovating our kitchen and part of the renovation includes opening up the wall between the dining room and kitchen with a pass through. My husband just visited a friend who gave him a huge awesome chunk of cherry - 2"thick and 12' long and 10

1/2" deep. The pass through will ultimately be 42" wide. My husband would like to just cut a piece about 42" wide and use this as a narrow counter/sill for the pass through area. Of course, he would finish it, but that's another topic.

Is this insane? It seems like the wood will definitely warp, but he thinks that it will be fine. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Leigh

|We are in the process of renovating our kitchen and part of the |renovation includes opening up the wall between the dining room and |kitchen with a pass through. My husband just visited a friend who |gave him a huge awesome chunk of cherry - 2"thick and 12' long and 10 |1/2" deep. The pass through will ultimately be 42" wide. My husband |would like to just cut a piece about 42" wide and use this as a narrow |counter/sill for the pass through area. Of course, he would finish |it, but that's another topic. | |Is this insane? It seems like the wood will definitely warp, but he |thinks that it will be fine. Any suggestions?

Yes. Use Formica and send that slab of cherry to me [g].

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Hard to tell, Leigh,

If the wood is well-seasoned/kilned and is somewhere near the moisture content of your home (say 8 - 10%) , then it's unlikely to warp. If it's green timber, or has been stored in a damp environment, then it almost certainly will.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Thanks all! I think the wood has been sitting around for a few years

- outside and covered. Our friend enjoys going to auctions and buying pallets of wood, which he keeps stored around his house. Sounds like we may as well try it.

We're so beyond Formica it's rather scary!

Reply to
Leigh