Cherry Burl

A friend has given me 2 cherry burls about 30" in diameter. I've always admired burls,but never dealt with any. I was looking for advice on cutting it up, stacking & drying. I was thinking of getting a ripping chain for my chainsaw & cut it top to bottom rather than horizontal slices? I would cut it fairly thick, 2"+ to allow for warping,twist etc. Then stack for a long time!! Wish I could use it now. How do you avoid sticker problems?
iv'e cut alot of burl but have not done any cherry, mostly black ash. i beleive you will get the best figure by cutting parallel to the face. as far as drying you may concider stabilizing insted by using something like pentacryl. if you do put on sticks make sure there dry, ash makes the best sticker. do not use oak, it will stain even if dry from the moisture in the burl. ross www.highislandexport.com
Is the face the top end grain or along the length? How thick would you cut them?
Thx, Chris

assuming the burl was just cut off the log and has one flat face, i would cut parallel to that face. clear as mud right? how thick do you want it? depends on what the final use will be. ross
Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 3:55am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com doth wishfully query: <snip> Wish I could use it now. How do you avoid sticker problems? No prob. You buy - better yet, make - a big ass wood lathe, then turn 'em, green. No prob.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.