Cherry Bookcase Finished

Page 1 of 2
Hey Gang,
I finished my cherry bookcase. Not my style at all, but I enjoyed the process.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Bookcase.php
Let me know what you think.
Thanks for looking Brian
--
(e-mail address shown not functional)

Looks great, though I can't see it in full color... my old monitor is about to give out... new one on the way.
The grain seems to be well visible. I've understood an oil or oil based finish enhances the grain on cherry. I've delayed work on my cherry entertainment center, because of cold weather, and I'm interested in the grain being well seen. I haven't tested any finishes, yet. I was initially thinking of applying BLO as a first coat, for that grain enhancement, but with further research, I'm thinking maybe not, after all. BLO might not be the best first-coat finish, since it seems to darken on other woods I've finished (blackens on old cypress). So I'm looking for an alternative and still get good grain visibility and also retain good cherry color, after final finishing (sprayed lacquer is the plan). Would a sprayed oil poly, topped with lacquer, be better/best? I've never built a major piece, as this, using cherry, so working with cherry is a bit new for me, this way.
Sonny

I've never used that combination of finish, however I have used tung oil followed by poly. I think I am getting very lazy with finishing these days. I just whip out the spray gun and fill with poly. Pain- free finish with nice results.
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:06:00 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks

Um, no comment.
------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment
I have had really good results with General Finishes Arm-R-Kote and Seal Kote They wipe on nice and do a great job of enhancing the grain.

On 02/18/2010 04:12 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

I like it. Clean, simple design, good grain selection, unobtrusive shelf supports. Works for me.
Chris

Thank you. I got the idea of doing the shelf supports that way from an article in FWW. If you are interested and have access it is here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/ProjectsAndDesign/ProjectsAndDesignPDF.aspx?id=24927
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:39:31 -0600, the infamous Chris Friesen

Pros: Ditto.
Cons: I'm not much of a fan of flutes (hides grain ;) and I'm definitely not a fan of that finish, especially when refinishing.
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Not 'zactly my style, but the joinery and fit and finish and grain display are great.
Good job.
-Zz
On 2/18/2010 4:12 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

It looks good - the tapered flutes came out well, and it looks better than it would have with the dovetails you'd considered - but I don't understand the rounded over trim piece in the last photo...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

The trim goes around the perimeter of the bottom shelf. The bottom shelf rests on the front and back rail and ledgers left right. There was a little gap left right that I wanted to hide. The trim accomplished this task.

On 2/18/2010 7:43 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

<mode=diplomatic>
I like everything /else/ - really well. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Wrap and ship. You should be proud.

Thank you.
On 2/18/2010 4:12 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

I like the tapered flutes. You'll catch hell from Larry for using polyurethane, but it looks great from here. :-)

Nice work. I like the tapered flutes. You can maybe paint them a different color so they stand out.

:^)
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:32:13 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"

Yeah, smear some RBS innair, whydoncha?
(RBS = Reddish Brown Shit = stain)
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
On 2/18/2010 4:12 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Gorgeous! ... really like the grain matching. Very well done!!
(nice photography, also)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08