Cherry Bookcase

Page 1 of 2
Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than anticipated).
Comments critiques welcomed.
Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/nathanbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg
Video (Part 6 of build): http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php
On 6/25/2011 1:57 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Gorgeous piece of furniture, the grain is awesome! In two years it will be even more spectacular.
Well done!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Thanks Karl!

Thank you!
On 2011-06-25 18:49:55 -0400, GarageWoodworks

Thanks for the videos. In watching them, I found an answer to something puzzling me about a current project. Of course, I can no longer remember what that answer was -- but let's hope I internalized it and will incorporate said solution...
What is the trade name of the wax resist you used to minimize glue clean up?
Lovely case, and the best use of exercise equipment, too!
On 6/26/2011 10:56 PM, Steve wrote:

It's Waxilit sold by LeeValley
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p2092&cat=1

Yes indeed. The most action it's seen in months.

GarageWoodworks wrote the following:

If I can say it, it looks pretty, :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thank you!
On 6/25/2011 2:57 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

If I had one criticism, it would be that the holes for the shelf adjustment would be less noticeable if they were in the sides of the rear supports rather than the front. On the other hand, you could use those purdy little brass cups and use it as an accent feature. Once the unit is full of stuff, it will probably not even be noticed ... it only stands out when empty.
Oh ... BTW ... NICE JOB !!!
<<<__ Bb __>>>

My wife actually came up with the same 'criticism' after I made the holes <sigh>. I might implement that suggestion next time. Thanks for looking!

Thank you. (my last post never showed up, so if this is posted again - sorry).
On 6/25/2011 1:57 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Looks great!
Two things though that I consider to be over kill and one item that I would have changed.
1. No need to glue and screw the bottom shelf in, one or the other is enough.
2. The molding around the bottom shelf draws your eye away from the rest of the unit and kinda sorta looks unfinished with the abrupt stop at the front, too busy for an other wise elegantly simple shelf unit.
3. I would have placed the back shelf adjustment holes parallel with the back/front so that they would be less noticeable.
Other than that the unit looks well balanced in stock sizing and the wood looks great, better yet in a couple of years.

Thanks Leon. I agree with you with the back shelf adjustment holes. My wife suggested that AFTER I made the holes. :)
On 6/26/2011 7:50 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

After about 200 completed pieces you start to remember this stuff. ;~)
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:57:00 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks

Nice build. Construction is classic, but you can never go wrong with a build like that. Nice clean lines, destined to be an heirloom.

Darn pretty!!
--
Best regards
Han

That's some of the nicer figured cherry I have seen lately.
NICE!!
On 6/25/2011 9:09 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Thank you sir!

Thanks everyone! (If you see duplicate posts of mine I'm having trouble with the google.)
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

Lew