Check out what my new joitner cutterhead can do.

Page 1 of 2

how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/cutter3.jpg
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

Awesome...That is a beautiful slice-O-wood!
I wish I had a joitner that could do that!!!
Philski

it only costs 370.00 (G) or only 195 for a hand powered jointer.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Astounding, Steve. How thin a flitch will it do at that quality?
It must thrust the material laterally against the fence as well, eh? Will the inserts index themselves when rotated? Or does it go back to the manufacturer for an insert change?
Rob

no sideways pressure. it cuts a bit slow compared to regular knives though. they index on their own. a 1/4 turn and you have a fresh surface again.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Forget the jointer, gimme that wood! :-) Nice cuts btw!
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated) - Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer - WoodHaven Biscuit Master - Veritas Saddle Square - EZ Smart Guide System - Incra V27 Miter Gauge ------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Knight wrote:

It wrinkled up that maple, now you're going to have to iron it. Looks good, though.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

News==----
120,000+ Newsgroups

=----
So! after you iron the wrinkles off the maple does it become ironwood?
Steve Knight wrote:

Abso-freakin' gorgeous! Better show it to Mekon, tell him it's bleached cherry. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

In that picture I can see lines parallel to the long edges. Are they noticable in real life too? My griz spiral does that, but they're only noticable when looking at the right angle in a favorable light.

yes it does like a hand planed surface. not really a issue though.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

So if it does leave small lines then the surface must be sanded, so what's the advantage of this cutterhead?
It's probably much easier to scrape or sand the small lines than horrendeous tear-out.
Clint

and a regular head leaves ripples. because it cuts without tearout and lasts a log time between rotating the cutters. plus it does endgrain great. Plus it is very easy to change the cutters. You don't have to re setup your machine.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I think I'd prefer lines to ripples.

what's
lasts a

it is

Loverly. OK, show of hands, who else went up and looked at the whole directory of pics?
Dave Hinz wrote:

Hand up... I was intrigued by the Garrett Hack letter.
Could you please send me that piece of Maple so I can look at the jointer finish a little closer?
BW

I don't think I have seen a cooler piece of maple. though it is almost wasted on a plane as the grain does not show as well on smaller things.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

wasted on

It's certainly worthy of slicing into veneer