Check out this guy's homemade table saw!

This guy will only be able to count to ten for another day or two.

-MIKE-

Lee Michaels

Joinery

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As far as I can tell, the thing is just sitting on those two "table horses or whatever they're called" and not attached in any way.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's pretty common to see setups like that on construction sites, especially siding jobs, in my area.

Reply to
Nova

any greater inherent danger of amputations with this setup than with any other table saw, though, except to the extent that someone who would engage in this sort of redneck rigging is less likely to observe proper safety precautions than someone who would instead buy, borrow, or rent the right equipment.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Steve Barker

"Doug Miller" wrote

right on to his foot.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hey, he is wearing safety glasses. My concern, other than the redneck on-off switch, is how that saw is secured to the bottom of the board and is that board secured to the saw horses.

Reply to
willshak

.com

Reply to
Limp Arbor

The 'table horses' have 2x4s attached to their tops, and the table saw rig is screwed down to those.

That's a pretty typical job site jury-rig when there's no table saw on site and only a few pieces have to be cut. In many ways it's a lot safer than when framer's disable the blade guard on a circular saw and are leaning over with a wide-legged stance. You're always balancing time and efficiency versus risk, and you'll know pretty clearly when you've underestimated the risk.

RicodJour

So if it vibrates or bounces around too much, it automatically implements one of the safety features of the SawStop: the blade drops out of the way....

Reply to
Doug Miller

LOL. I used a similar set-up for my first two years woodworking. My saw didn't have the potential for dust collection though. ;-) But it did have an inline switch.

Max

Reply to
Max

Right! Every commercial table saw comes with a splitter these days!

Most are in a box somewhere in the shop.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've flipped over the old circ saw to rip trim before. But I took quite a few more precautions than this guy, including a splitter and a foot switch.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I purchased one of those commercially made by Black and Decker, years back. I still use the legs for a router table I built. Folds up nice.

Man, no push blocks or guard or even eye protection.

I guess his wife was acting "SawStop" in case his wiener got into the works.

Josepi

Mines in a bag along with the guard. Original packageing. Never been used.

Reply to
CW

Looks more like they run it on baking soda and vinegar.

Josepi