Cheapies, some times worth the cash

G'day all, Like most, I love using a good tool, be it hand or power. A few months ago I bought an "Ozshito" Ozito, palm sander for about $30.00. It truly was the biggest piece of crap, packed into the smallest package I had ever seen. A quarter sheet of paper held on by about a mm at both ends, so it kept coming out of the clamps. A bit of sanding of the pad on both ends fixed this problem, sort off. The unit worked relatively well for about 20 minutes of use then slowly increases in volume until it sounded like I was using a router. It very quickly nose dived straight in the bin. The reason I purchased it in the first place was just to use 240 - 320 paper for sanding between coats so as not to have to bother changing paper on my makita continuesly. The selection at the local hardware wasn't great either. The choice was the Ozshito or a $135.00 Dewalt.

You'd have thought a bloke would have learnt a lesson!!!!!!! Well I guess some are slow................ very slow learners :)

I have been renovating part of our home lately and and using those most important two words that any fellow should know, I bowed to pressure from the war office and lifted the vinyl and carpet to polish the floor boards. (Those two words "Yes Dear". After hiring a floor and edge sander, cutting back the boards, plugging screw holes and filling knots and nail holes, I needed a sander to finish of these patches after running over them with the belt sander. Back down the hardware shop.

A ROS was what the doctor ordered, I have one, a nice Ryobi that is easy to handle with one hand, variable speed and does a great job, but I didn't want to flog it out doing grunt work on the floors.

Once again choice??? $200+ Boshes and Dewalt and Makita, $100+ GMC, B&D or a $50 Ozshito. As mentioned above I am slow to pick some things up so the Ozshito it was.

When I started using this you could have knocked me over with a feather, it had some good weight, so the machine did the job easily using no pressure at all. Variable speed, with the high speed just slicing through the job. 80g and then 120g paper, no problems. I did all the grunt work and then cut back the finish between coats with 240g on it and it is still going like new. It was probably one of the best $50.00 I have spent in a while.

Having had full intention to ditch it after the job if it was playing up, I an pleasantly surprised and got my $50.00 worth of use out of it already. Sometimes being a tight bastard does pay off. :)

Regards John

Reply to
John B

I did similarly... but differently. First off, sometimes these things are fine, sometimes they're rubbish. How will Bunnings buyers and their suppliers learn the difference unless folk like you and me perform our economic *duty* to buy them, kill them, and return them for an advance on a better unit?

I'm serious - if you think there's some chance that the cheapie might actually do the job, then buy it, kill it if you can, then take it back. Sounds like a waste, but the waste was in making it so badly in the first instance. The wastage can only be stopped if the number of returns makes it inviable to make.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

G'day Clifford, Very true, and it is what I would normally do, however my filing system leaves a lot to be desired and I couldn't find the receipt for the life of me. The other thing Bunnings has over us people who's time is valuable is making a 2 minute job into 1 hour or more. They are as slow as wet wicks in a storm at Kal. all the best John

Reply to
John B