cheapest wood i can use to make patio furniture

Page 2 of 2

Dica wrote:

just getting into woodworking, ask around for places to get lumber, and not at the borg or lowes. I have a supplier in my area that has cypress shorts for as low as $0.40 lf. Most is surfaced 13/16" 2" to 6" wide by 3 to 4 foot long. I did several chairs built all out of shorts. I think the longer stuff runs less than $1.00 bdft.

thanks for all the replies, guys. looks like the woodworking community is strong and eager to help out the newbies.
because i've got so many projects planned for the summer, and such a limited budget, I think i'll pursue some of this pallet and dumpster wood some of you mentioned. what's the deal with this pallet wood - is it strong enough to make a patio chair from? What about a treehouse? if i give it a coat of an oil based paint, can i expect it to last a few years? i found a place just down the road from my house that had a 'free firewood' sign out front, so i grabbed a few pallets on the way home from work. the boards are a little skinny for the adirondack chairs i was planning on building. can i glue them with regular carpenter's glue to create some of the larger pieces i'll need for the project and expect it to hold up?
tks again to everyone.

Make sure to sand or plane the boards before glue-up, and use a waterproof glue like Titebond II or III or a polyurethane. But otherwise, why not?
Be aware that pallet wood can be treated with chemicals as well, so some sort of mask is in order when working the stuff.
Jason
Hi Dica:
I also recommend against PT pine for any project you will sit on or eat on. As others have said, cedar is a relatively inexpensive choice. I've never actually worked with it, but I'm about to start a few projects with it. My local Lowes is moving, and they put everything on sale 75% off yesterday. I picked up 150 board feet of 1x8 Cedar for $60 (thats $0.42/bf!). With a clear finish, it should hold up well.
Regards, John.