Cheap tools??

Page 2 of 2
Define "afford". I've never really understood it when someone says "buy the best you can afford". Does that mean save all your extra money for 6 months then buy it? Does it mean spend whatever cash you have in your pocket at that moment in time? Does it mean cash out the equity in your house? Does it mean go without lunch for a week and use that extra money? In other words, it all comes down to individual priorities. How much money a person is willing to spend while accepting that in most cases the more you spend the better quality you'll get. None of us can answer that question for others.
Is a $50 drill press as good as a $500 drill press? I highly doubt it. Does everyone that needs a drill press need a $500 drill press? I highly doubt it. Is there anyone that could benefit from a $50 drill press rather than going without? I'm sure there are.
Why didn't you buy the best truck available? I bet you could "afford" it, although you might have had to give up something else that you also wanted. So, you made the choice to settle for less than the best so you could spend the rest of your money on other things; like going out to a nice dinner at Burger King ;)
These threads crack me up how people can decide what tool someone else needs and how much money the other person should spend as well. Of course it's somewhat humorous to see people ask questions like "What tool should I buy?" or "is this brand any good?". There isn't one answer that fits everyone.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"RPRESHONG" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote:

<snip>
Yes. ;-) -- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

I had to set up a "second workshop" at my daughter's home. Tools were to get me by so I had something on my occasional visits. I used HF a lot. I leared some lessons. Here are some in case of interest: I bought some pipe clamps without a name. They broke on the first use. I bought some more from them on sale but had the Pittsburgh name and lifetime guarantee. Great. Still using 'em. About the same price because these were on sale. I then bought some bar clamps with red handles and no name. Slipped. Pieces of crap. I bought some more grey ones with the pittsburgh name, on sale, and were great. Still use them a lot. I bought, with great trepidation, an 18 volt drill. Curiously, it still works fine for me when I'm there. Also a steel cutting chop saw and expected the worst. Have worked it heavily on a special project calling for a lot of 3/4" pieces of pipe. Still going strong. I have bought the "cheapo" brad nailer (18 gauge)and use dheavily. Going great. Also the roofing nailer (huge trepidation) to get the shed and roof repairs done. Occasional misfire but OK. gets it done. Wouldn't want to make my living with it though! I bought a 2 HP, 4 gal pancake compressor for $90 on sale. Used very heavily for blowing dust, nailing, painting etc. Going great still. Noisy little sod but solid and reliable. Got a small bench drill press. A bit underpowered but accurate and handles what I need in every other way. No, I wouldn't buy some of this for my shop but it all works great for the 9 weeks or so I spend up there. I remodel their house and help them build two businesses. It's all heavily used. Bottom line: Avoid hand tools/clamps etc without the Pittsburgh name. Think of electric items as "adequate" in performance but great value. Not to last a lifetime or undergo very heavy use. Brad nailers are OK. etc. etc. As usual, "it depends". HF helped me get a lot done in "worshop north" (I live in South) at a moderate cost. It isn't the best, but adequate. Don't write them out of the plan if you are thinking "starter set" or "light use". Just choose carefully and for bar clamps etc. the sales are great. Get on their catalog list and start reading and "stalking". You'll get the picture after a while. Sorry for long reply. Hope it helps. Paul