Cheap tools??

Is 2 gal/4cfm enough for anything useful?

something

I had to set up a "second workshop" at my daughter's home. Tools were to get me by so I had something on my occasional visits. I used HF a lot. I leared some lessons. Here are some in case of interest: I bought some pipe clamps without a name. They broke on the first use. I bought some more from them on sale but had the Pittsburgh name and lifetime guarantee. Great. Still using 'em. About the same price because these were on sale. I then bought some bar clamps with red handles and no name. Slipped. Pieces of crap. I bought some more grey ones with the pittsburgh name, on sale, and were great. Still use them a lot. I bought, with great trepidation, an 18 volt drill. Curiously, it still works fine for me when I'm there. Also a steel cutting chop saw and expected the worst. Have worked it heavily on a special project calling for a lot of 3/4" pieces of pipe. Still going strong. I have bought the "cheapo" brad nailer (18 gauge)and use dheavily. Going great. Also the roofing nailer (huge trepidation) to get the shed and roof repairs done. Occasional misfire but OK. gets it done. Wouldn't want to make my living with it though! I bought a 2 HP, 4 gal pancake compressor for $90 on sale. Used very heavily for blowing dust, nailing, painting etc. Going great still. Noisy little sod but solid and reliable. Got a small bench drill press. A bit underpowered but accurate and handles what I need in every other way. No, I wouldn't buy some of this for my shop but it all works great for the 9 weeks or so I spend up there. I remodel their house and help them build two businesses. It's all heavily used. Bottom line: Avoid hand tools/clamps etc without the Pittsburgh name. Think of electric items as "adequate" in performance but great value. Not to last a lifetime or undergo very heavy use. Brad nailers are OK. etc. etc. As usual, "it depends". HF helped me get a lot done in "worshop north" (I live in South) at a moderate cost. It isn't the best, but adequate. Don't write them out of the plan if you are thinking "starter set" or "light use". Just choose carefully and for bar clamps etc. the sales are great. Get on their catalog list and start reading and "stalking". You'll get the picture after a while. Sorry for long reply. Hope it helps. Paul

Reply to
Paul

"Mark Jerde" wrote in news:RMAsb.35978$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Keep buying those cheap tools. But someday you're going to want a high- quality, U.S. made clamp, and guess what? Jorgensen will be out of business because they can't get away with paying $0.50/hour for labor with no environmental or OSHA protections!

Reply to
Hitch

For some of us our basic tooling goes back to pre - import.

I inherited a selection of clamps, saws and tools collected when if it wasn't made in the USA it wasn't worth having.

It's easy for me to buy American when I'm expanding capabilities or replacing old equipment.

I wouldn't want to start over.

Reply to
Mark