Cheap Table Saw

Page 1 of 2
I want to buy a cheap table saw. I am not a carpenter, I just need something for simple projects so I can cut straight. Would any of these work:
1. ShopMaster 10" Bench Top Table Saw: $121
http://myturl.com/000kd
2. RYOBI 10" Bench Top Table Saw $79
http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,514.html
3. Delta BENCH TOP 10" TABLE SAW $89
http://myturl.com/000ke
Also, any suggestion for a low end model that will cut straight? Is 10 inch good enough? What would these cheaper models be lacking that the $800 models do?
-Zeke

I don't have any advise on THAT low end a model - perhaps you should consider a nice circular saw, blade, and a clamp on straightedge instead. You can do some nice things with just these tools and some talent - and maybe a router.
As for what is lacking... A fence that stays put and is accurate and long enough to be useful. The power to actually *cut* wood. And most of all, construction that is durable enough to last more than a year. Arbor bearing on these cheap saws have an annoying tendency to come apart at speed.
The cheapest thing I would consider is a Delta TS300, and it's no prize...
Many people buy these to cut plywood, but you are better off with a circular saw and guide. That is what I use to cut down large panels - and I have a table saw.
FWIW, Greg

Depending on what you want to do, you will probably need to spend about $450-$500 to get something minimally acceptable. The $100 jammies scare me a little. I talking US dollars, by the way.
--
Bill

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:06:53 +0000, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

A lot depends on what you want a table saw to do. If you are cutting small parts and almost exclusively use a mitre gauge or shop built fixtures (usually called jigs) then a cheap saw will do. I started with a cheap motorized Delta that, honestly, wasn't much of a saw. I soon "upgraded" to a saw I bought at an auction. It was a craftsman with a "bent arbor" that I paid very little for. The "bent arbor" was a blade with a 3/4" hole on a 5/8" shaft...but the fence on the saw was a real piece of junk. When I came upon a unisaw for the right price I bought it and sold the craftsman. Any cheap saw will have a rip fence that is a real piece of junk. Don't expect to cut straight boards with it. Even with a cheap saw you can probably get accurate cuts on small parts if you take the time and fiddle with the settings long enough. Expect enough noise to scare the neighbors and usually a lot of vibration. And more than a little frustration. A more expensive saw with a good, solid cast iron table will make setups easier. It will also dampen vibration and noise. You will have more horsepower available to cut thicker or harder boards without feeling like you are pushing the limits of the saw. They are also harder to tip over, thus safer but harder to move around. If you pay the money for a good saw you can expect the setups to be easier, the fence to be accurate, straight, and set dead on every time. Bevel cuts and miters are easily repeatable and accurate. The saw will be a joy to use and you really won't mind paying $60 or $70 for a blade when you get the feel of a nice saw and see what can really be accomplished with it. A 10 inch saw is plenty large. I don't really recommend anything larger due to weight and power requirements. I once made 45 feet of drink rail for a local bar with my 10" unisaw out of 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" oak with a large (3"x1 1/4") cove cut in it. I know this is kind of long but I hope it answers your questions.

What if I buy a better blade for one of the cheaper models? I've heard that cuts down the noise and vibration while giving a better cut. How much would a good blade run me? Do the good table saws come with good blades? Or do you need to change those too?
Zeke
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is HF? Do they have a website?
Zeke
In rec.woodworking

www.harborfreight.com
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote

I wonder how they do the free shipping on such heavy items.
Zeke Redner wrote:

I wondered the same about Amazon.com... I took advantage of a good deal to get myself a JET mini lathe for Christmas. $199.95, free shipping, for a lathe that's usually closer to $400. Sure enough, they charged exactly $199.95 on the bill.
The sucker is heavy, and it came with big yellow "overweight item" stickers all over it. Shipping it can't have been cheap. They did eat it though, so hey, whatever. It's not my job to make sure Amazon.com makes a profit. They offered, I took it. Saved $40 or so on shipping, and am very happy with the whole transaction.
With Amazon.com, the free shipping means "we'll get it to you eventually" instead of "we'll get it to you next week." You have to be willing to wait longer than usual, or else you pay for the sure bet to get it sooner. When I ordered the lathe, I think they said it would take three weeks to a month to get to me. I actually got it in eight days I think, but that was pure happenstance.
I have no idea if HF does something similar. I haven't ever bought from HF.
Silvan wrote:

I bought $50 worth of stuff from them to give it a try. Pros: - There was no shipping charge. - One item was missing. Called the 800 number, they shipped the missing item no questions asked. Cons: - It took a couple weeks to receive the order. - I never did get a tracking number to make sure someone was here so the UPS guy wouldn't have to leave the package behind the bushes.
Overall, acceptable. In fact, I think Santa is going to get me $50.88 worth of HF clamps. <g>
-- Mark

I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the "handling charge" to be a bit heftier than smaller items. :-) Or maybe they make up for it by putting a handling charge on everything.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote

Sorry. I have 2 computers. I keep one of them set to GMT for business purposes. It shouldn't affect the way your newsreader displays my posts.
Zeke

Thanks. Are you referring to the Central Machinery benchtop 10" table saw here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberE804
For $119, they have this US General with a 'heavy duty' stand:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF987
They have an even cheaper Chicago Electric for $34.99, but this one only has a 4 inch blade:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF379
Zeke
T. wrote:

I want that saw they have on that stupid TV commercial that cuts that car in half in three seconds. Betcha I could Wreck some wood with that thing. Looks like those 48" blades would get pricey though.
Zeke Redner wrote:

I'll add to my last post... Putting a Freud TK960 on mine helped a lot, but it's still a miserable saw. The blade did absolutely nothing for the noise and vibration. Absolutely NOTHING.
Not useless, but no joy to use. I've raised the bar as high as I can with it, and the bar isn't very high.
OTOH, using this thing has put me in a position to *really* appreciate a good saw when I get one some day.
Zeke Redner wrote:
What would these cheaper models be lacking that the $800

Everything!
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Approximately $700 in extra weight, features and quality.
Think of a bicycle and a car.
UA100
Unisaw A100 responds:

More accurately, think of a Yugo and a car.
Charlie Self
"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower
T. looked up from his yellow tool long enough to babble:

Probably a victim of our vast new service economy...
Of course any of these will work. I'd rather go for a quality circular saw and nice straight edge. You'll be able to cut large sheets of ply. The table saw that costs more are usually heavier, have large tables, more power usually belt driven for less vibration, more accurate, dust collection, and have a solid fence. These low-end benchtops are fine for crafts, breadboards, and birdhouses. Do not expect them to rip an 8 foot plank with high accuracy, although you might do it with lots of fussing and fine tuning.