Cheap SCMS

SCMSs were reviewed in Popular WW (IIRC) this month. One of those that they took a look at was a $200 cheapie. They said basically that if one didn't use it a lot, and if pinpoint accuracy wasn't a biggie, this might be an OK buy.
I noticed in the recent Harbor Fright mailing that they had one that looks suspiciously like the one in PWW for $99. Take a look at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber891
Don't construe this as my recommendation - just a possibility for some cheap hardware.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Powerful 10.8a motor? Cutting balsa wood?
Fri, Jul 16, 2004, 5:23pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (jo4hn) says: <snip> I noticed in the recent Harbor Fright mailing that they had one<snip>
I spent about 10-15 minutes awhile back, looking one over in the store. I'm not sure how it would to on anything but a straight cut, but for those I think it'd work fine. That's all I'd be wanting one for anyway. Seemed like as good, or better, quality than some higher priced ones I've looked at.
Problem is, I don't really "need" one, my saw sled meets my needs nicely, for now. That, and I don'te really have $99 to spare on one just now. Except for that, I'd get one. .
JOAT
We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience. - Nanny Ogg
My father in law bought one of the HF $99 jobs and it is actually a better saw than I expected. It's not what I'd use for furniture making (don't use a CMS for that anyway) but for general construction, it works fine. He used it for putting in wooden floors you buy at the home center and it's cuts were square. I'm not sure how it would fare with oak or hickory.
Don

I've got one of these -- the new style HF SCMS. Definitely do not pay $200 for it. At $99, it's a cheap POS .... add a good cross-cut blade and it becomes a rather useful not quite so cheap POS. I haven't figured out how to fix the detents so that 90 degrees really is 90 degrees instead of 90.5 degrees, but I can lock it at what it calls 0.5 off to compensate, and it cuts square. It can cut through a construction 4x4 in one shot, but you're pushing the motor to do it. I wouldn't try to cut anything over 8/4 hardwood, and I'd be concerned about that (I don't have any that I'm willing to spare any length on to try....)
--randy