Cheap Routers are Expensive

Page 2 of 2
Buck Turgidson wrote:

I own lots of routers (17 at last count). Many of the older models are PC. Since buying a Shopbot CNC router 2-1/2 years ago, I've had my fill of PC routers and the PC hype. I have three of the 7518 model, which is supposed to be a 3+ hp model. Put a watt meter on it and see for yourself that it is more like a 1-1/2 hp router. The top bearings are mounted in plastic. They use sealed instead of shielded bearings. When I had a serious heating problem, I changed to shielded bearings and the 7518 worked much better.
My current favorite for a fixed based model is the Bosch. I prefer the DeWalts for plunging.
Let me just add that I don't expect much from a tool except that it work as advertised and be reliable. Unfortunately, I've found that PC makes tools that should be classified as consumer grade - at best.