cheap router bits

The other day we gathered up all of the dull saw blades, joiner knives and router bits to take to the sharpener. Thinking that we wouldn't need any ogee bits for a week or so we took all of them, along with everything else we could find that was dull.
Sure enough, two days later we needed an ogee bit. We ran down to the borg and the only ogee they had was a Vermont American carbide. We thought, "what the hell we need it now" and bought it.
I swear that all of the dull bits we sent to the sharpener were sharper than the brand new VA right out of the box. The bit was cheap at $16 but that was about $15 too much and that's only if the bearing is worth a buck. We could have driven another ten miles and poked around in the display case with all of the shiny blue Bosch bits.
I don't know why I do that kinda stuff!!!
Mike O.

I don't either, but most of us have at one time or another.
When I bought my first router I had no idea what bits to buy so I got a cheap bit like you describe. I thought I mad a mistake buying a router until I got a good bit.
I keep hearing things about Harbor Freight tools are OK for a light use, but it always comes back to bite you in the ass when a cheap tool ruins the work, rounds the head of a bolt, etc. IMO, cheap tools are very expensive.
wrote in message

This is a lesson I want to learn from others (like the OP). I keep hearing that CMT sells good router bits. Just from watching the traffic here I'd say the are the #1 recommendation. I went to their website today to find the bullnose I'd need for my window sills. I couldn't tell what would be an appropriate size for my 3/4" thick boards. Nor did their site help me find a dealer in my area (Ottawa, Ontario). Anybody know of one? (I'm willing to order online, too, if I can be sure I'm getting the right thing.)
My next option will be to buy a bit from Lee Valley. Their catalog shows clearly all the dimensions and I have little doubt I can pick it up on the way home from work this Friday. Would you say a CMT bit would be worth my effort or can I expect the LV bit to perform just as well?
- Owen (who just got his new Lee Valley router plate and cam lifter installed in his router table and is very happy how it turned out) -
| > | >> I swear that all of the dull bits we sent to the sharpener were | >> sharper than the brand new VA right out of the box. The bit was | >> cheap at $16 but that was about $15 too much and that's only if the | >> bearing is worth a buck. | > | >> I don't know why I do that kinda stuff!!! | > | > I don't either, but most of us have at one time or another. | > | > When I bought my first router I had no idea what bits to buy so I got a | > cheap bit like you describe. I thought I mad a mistake buying a router | > until I got a good bit. | > | > I keep hearing things about Harbor Freight tools are OK for a light use, | > but it always comes back to bite you in the ass when a cheap tool ruins | > the work, rounds the head of a bolt, etc. IMO, cheap tools are very | > expensive. | | This is a lesson I want to learn from others (like the OP). I keep hearing | that CMT sells good router bits. Just from watching the traffic here I'd | say the are the #1 recommendation. I went to their website today to find | the bullnose I'd need for my window sills. I couldn't tell what would be an | appropriate size for my 3/4" thick boards. Nor did their site help me find | a dealer in my area (Ottawa, Ontario). Anybody know of one? (I'm willing | to order online, too, if I can be sure I'm getting the right thing.) | | My next option will be to buy a bit from Lee Valley. Their catalog shows | clearly all the dimensions and I have little doubt I can pick it up on the | way home from work this Friday. Would you say a CMT bit would be worth my | effort or can I expect the LV bit to perform just as well? | | - Owen (who just got his new Lee Valley router plate and cam lifter | installed in his router table and is very happy how it turned out) - | |
You might want to take a look at Freud as well.
I got my bits from Home Depot and I saw the CMT at the other big box in London ON.
Having a sample of both, I find they are like a hot knife in butter compared to the cheapies.
-- PDQ

The 'Hammer' box? Where is that one located?
*waves* Sarnia, here.
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Which web site did you go to? A Google search for +CMT +"Router Bits" turns up a bunch of different places including McFeely's, Carbide.com, Woodcraft, etc.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

http://www.cmtusa.com /
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

I get my CMT from a bunch of farmers in Iowa.
They have an 800# and are most helpful.
YMMV
Lew
Mike O. (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| I swear that all of the dull bits we sent to the sharpener were | sharper than the brand new VA right out of the box. The bit was | cheap at $16 but that was about $15 too much and that's only if the | bearing is worth a buck. We could have driven another ten miles and | poked around in the display case with all of the shiny blue Bosch | bits. | | I don't know why I do that kinda stuff!!!
Everybody does it once. Mine were a cheap set of yellow-painted no-name bits on sale at Menards. Chucked one up in the router table and got wood smoke as soon as the brand new bit touched pine. Decided to keep 'em around in case I ever run out of matches.
I'll grab cheap ones when I can on sale from time to time to use on crappy jobs and I found it to be more of hit and miss some sub par and some above par. I found even some B&D's actually cut pretty decent. Sears Ahhhh! Even the Grizzly's I've been pretty happy with.
Some cases the dollar cost of a high end blade may never actually be recovered.......

Years ago I bought a large set of bits on clearance from Sears for like $15. I figured what the heck... less than $1 a piece and the box alone was prolly worth $15. Wouldn't you know, I can't destroy these things. I even routed a couple hundred feet of 1X using the core bit, three full depth passes, and the bit still cuts fine. I still wonder if my M12V affects the bit performance...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, the M12V does keep up to its dialled speed rather well. That can mean better cooling. That has got to be the best plunge router for the money out there.
Mike O. wrote:
<snip a tale of woe about cheap, not low cost cutting tools>

It is a lesson we sooner or later, we all learn.
Lew
Snip

Well actually most tools can be sharper than with the original edge that the come with. Its all relative. Take 95% of carbide tooth blades, chisels, hand plane knives to name a few. Typically the resharpened blades always come back sharper than when the tool was brand new.
Some tools are made with the expectation that the user will sharpen and hone them before use, but most people don't!
Leon wrote:

I bought one of the Columbian assortments. I didn't have high expectations, but the total cost was around $ 2 each, and they're good for practicing with different types of bits on scrap wood. I'd rather sacrifice a $ 2 bit to learn rather than dulling a $ 40 bit before I can use it properly.
Mike O. wrote:

Sun, Oct 30, 2005, 9:16pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.net (MikeO.) aint sharp: <snip> Vermont American carbide. <snip>
I suppose it depends on what you buy. I've used their pattern bits and no prob, they've lasted as long for me as other brands.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green