"Cheap" paint

Poplar rules!

Reply to
Robatoy

Poplar rules!

Amen, brother!

I am now building a whole set for my kitchen to match the china cabinets, out of......

Poplar!

Reply to
Morgans

Some and parts... not all or entirely. If that makes any sense.

All, it's a far away picture. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

And beech.

Reply to
-MIKE-

But I'm getting "industrial paint" approaching the performance of Imron for a Behr price.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Situations like that are pretty much unavoidable. Even when you _know_ it's 'wrong', it is, many times. =necessary= for 'domestic tranquility' to go ahead and make a 'missus-stake', anyway.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Lately I have benn making some picture frames that I wanted to paint and then antique. Home Depot has small containers- maybe 2 ounces- of latex that are designed for folks to try out a color before spending big bucks for all the paint necessary to do a whole room. Worked fine on my frame. Lots of choices, I went with a satin shade of red. Enough for two coats.

Reply to
anne watson

Do you sand it, shellac it, and sand the fuzzies off before painting? The stuff has fur, I swear.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

AKA American Whitewood

Reply to
clare

OK, what's that green stuff in Poplar?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Whitewood is usually SPF (spruce, pine, fir)

Reply to
jo4hn

Patina

Reply to
Robatoy

Tulipwood

Reply to
Robatoy

When I started seeing advertisements for Yellawood, I thought they were talking about Poplar. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

An experiment gone wrong. Somebody grafted some output from the Treasury's Bureau of Printing on to a sapling, to attempt to disprove the "poplar adage" that 'money doesn't grrow on trees.' Seems like the coloration 'took', but the patterns were distored beyond recognition.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Not up here it's not. It is Aspen or poplar, generally - defitely one of the softer hardwoods - fine dense grain and no knots

Reply to
clare

Actually, the green patine is formed by a poplar tree growing next to other vegetation, like the kind that can climb walls. It makes a poplar green with ivy.

Reply to
Robatoy

Liriodendron tulipifera Otherwise known as "tulip poplar" - AKA "Yellow Poplar", Hickory Poplar, Saddletree, and "Canoe-wood". It is also sometimes called American basswood, but is actually neither Basswood, nor Poplar.

It is part of the Mognoliaceae family and is the tallest hardwood in North America. They are fast growing - growing 50 feet in 11 years, on average. Trees vary in height, but can grow to 200 ft, averaging between 100 and 150 ft tall, with trunks of 8 to 10 ft in diameter. Average weight is 31 lbs per cubic foot, with a gravity of 0.51.

Reply to
clare

HORRIBLE!

Reply to