"Cheap" paint

Page 1 of 3

Did a price comparison on paint this week for some cabinets in the garage.
MagnaMax from the local real paint store 30 bucks a gallon.
Crap from Home Despot or Sears, 30 bucks a gallon.
Well, that decision was easy.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Add a few bucks and go for Aura by Benjamin Moore. Goes further, doesn't need primer, two coats and Bob's your uncle. An absolute treat to work with. Maybe a bit of overkill for garage cabs.
The extra coverage almost makes up for the price—too close to matter.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/10/10 9:59 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Last time I bought "good" paint from Sherwin Williams, the store manager suggested Penetrol Paint Conditioner. The stuff is amazing... I'll never paint (w/good or bad paint) without it again.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
Garage cabinets!? Does the color have to match a particular garage decor?
Mis-mixed paint from any vender or paint from Big Lots, $5 a gallon. The red barn stain/paint from Big Lots, available at random times, was put on a friend's 20' X 30' shed (exterior, cypress - 1" thick solid boards) 13 yrs ago and still looks good today.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Sonny">

------------------------ AKA: "Oops" paint.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/10/2010 1:35 PM, Sonny wrote:

Has to be a specific color. Also non-blocking and non-chalking.

Is the red barn paint non-blocking and non-chalking? And how does it look on MDF?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't know the answer to either question. I've never read the Big Lots cans, either, to know what kind of blend it is. Last summer my friend considered recoating with the Big Lots barn paint, so I assume it is, at least, decent for her shed's exterior.
Here's a view of her shed, pic taken about 3 or 4 yrs ago.... it had been painted about 8 yrs prior: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4978397594 /
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/10/2010 9:01 PM, Sonny wrote:

Not the look I have in mind at all.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J. Clarke wrote:

You don't like ferns???
Add pictures here
βœ–

And the original color was *white*? [:-)
Consumer Reports gives a high rating to Behr paints (Home Depot)
Max
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/10/2010 11:22 PM, Max wrote:

How do they rate Imron?
Add pictures here
βœ–

LOL. I don't think they're into rating industrial paints.
Max
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/11/2010 9:32 AM, Max wrote:

But I'm getting "industrial paint" approaching the performance of Imron for a Behr price.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lately I have benn making some picture frames that I wanted to paint and then antique. Home Depot has small containers- maybe 2 ounces- of latex that are designed for folks to try out a color before spending big bucks for all the paint necessary to do a whole room. Worked fine on my frame. Lots of choices, I went with a satin shade of red. Enough for two coats.

βœ–

You like your paint to flow, do you? Yeah, good stuff.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/10/10 8:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

This was an important project, so I took all the advice I was given.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bookcases.jpg
I don't do a lot of painting, and i don't like it, but that stuff made me want to paint more. :-)
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

Nice. What kind of roller did you use. <gd&r>
I used Floetrol (oops, it was this, not oil-based Penetrol I was thinking of) for repainting my louvered closet doors with a HF HVLP spray gun. I had to thin with water, Floetrol, and warm it to about 100F to get it to spray. Glidden acrylic enamel ain't made for sprayin'. <sigh> I'll use more when I brush the trim in the house before my family shows up for Christmas. It's the Good Stuff for waterborne paints.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/10/10 10:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

..................................................................^?^?^?
I actually used a combination of stuff. Spray... never could get a consistent flow, due to cheap gear and inexperience. Brush... Penetrol paid off in spades in this department. And <gasp> roller for the shelves. It was the best way for them.

--

-MIKE-

βœ–

Those bookcases weren't sprayed?? Wow! Outstanding!
I want the recipe. :-)
Max
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/11/10 8:37 AM, Max wrote:

Some and parts... not all or entirely. If that makes any sense.
All, it's a far away picture. :-)
--

-MIKE-

βœ–