Cheap ? Hard wood

Page 2 of 2

Crap, I saw your Sympatico addy and I was going to ask where you're getting wood that cheap. But then I see the NB in there. Damn. :-)
It's $5+ a bf for Oak around here.

How cheap is cheap? Cherry is about $6.50, Oak around $4.50, but I can get rough pine for 50 I have some very serviceable boxes and cabinets from pine.
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:33:18 +0000, Lee wrote:

You don't say where you are--Capetown, Buenos Aires, Sydney, and New York will have very different answers.
How cheap is cheap and how long can you wait and what tools do you have? Locally one can get 8/4 green red oak for $1.20 a board foot--if you can wait a year and then joint and plane it that's pretty reasonable. Locally KD ash, aspen, and poplar are under $3/board foot.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Lee wrote:

I don't know where you are, but around here (Pacific Northwest) I can often find birch cheaper than any other hardwood.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:05:27 -0800, Larry Blanchard

Oh yeah- forgot about birch again. Not a bad looking wood, either. Last batch I bought came from the hardwood dealer with some nice spalting, and was the least expensive wood he had.
Prometheus wrote:

And spalted birch is beautiful!
-- It's turtles, all the way down
Lee wrote:

If you check with a hardwood dealer they often have "economy" labeled stock which was culled for that sold as FAS. It might have a few defects but is usually good for smaller projects. Right now my supplier lists "economy red oak" and "economy hard maple" at $1.50/bd. ft..
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

ply,
Have you tried calling local hardwood mills and/or dealers? Better than asking such an open question, at least that way you would get an answer that is based upon products that are available in your area, and pricing for your area too.

Really...?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

What you need to do is order a big woodworking machine. It'll come on a nice beat to hell pallet. That's prime crappy hardwood full of nails for FREE! Sure it won't last very long, but there's always more tools to buy.
-Leuf

It might be different in your area, but on the East coast, mid Atlantic vicinity, soft maple would be a good choice. Not always easy to stain consistently, though.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
Wed, Nov 22, 2006, 5:33pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@tds.net (Lee) doth sayeth: Looking for suggestions on a low cost hardwood ( if there is such an animal). Need it for some wood shop cabinets and tool boxes. I don't care to use ply, wood should be stainable, reasonably stable and reasonably able to be machined. I don't want the perfect wood just a usable one. First person that says try Google gets a large splinter in a very bad place. :)))))
If ya wind up painting whatever, I'd think using plywood wouldn't matter.
Like you've been told, different prices in different places. You'll have to ched in your local area.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

First suggestion would have been soft maple- but you want it stainable, so I'm going to suggest Ash.
Of course, that will depend on where you're located- if you're anywhere in the midwest, those two are often less expensive than knotty pine. Elsewhere, they might be premium woods- hard to say.
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 02:12:19 -0600, Prometheus wrote:

There's a useful tool at <http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/wdpick.htm . With that and the pricelists from your local yards you can generally find an inexpensive wood for just about anything. Sometimes very helpful. Also, while it doesn't show it by default there's an option to show location, at least to the general region--that can help in ruling out particular species--generally if it's local it's cheaper than if it's imported.
Doesn't include all commercial species (ipe for example is not in its database) and doesn't make fine distincitions (white oak and LV are both "hard" for example) but it's still very helpful in finding a species with a given set of characteristics.