Cheap Dovetail Jigs - avoid?

Page 1 of 2
I see a number of cheapo dovetail jigs on ebay, they look identical in construction to what JET is selling.
Question: If I'm doing a small amount of dovetailing for occasional projects, will these be OK or should I spring for the more expensive Porter Cable ones. The PC is about 3 times as much, and doesn't have a lever quick release.
TIA
Now you know why they're on eBay. Do a DAGS and read some of the "frustration posts" about these jigs.
Bob S.

DAGS Do A Google Search
I added it the other day to , http://www.acronymfinder.com /

Thanks....
Bob S.

Another one for the archives at the Department of Redundant Duplications Department.
Art
smart ass .........;)
Bob S.
wrote in message ...

Why do it ? Biscuits are quicker, finger joints are more router-friendly. If I'm cutting dovetails, I want good ones, not ugly symmetrical ones. For anything "practical rather than decorative", I don't use dovetails.
I'm big on biscuits, but Dovetails are, well, cool and look nice.. They are also stronger in certain applications.
I had done google search already, but I wasn't getting a clear opinion on whether the Porter Cable ~$120 one was worth the extra money over a $30 harbor freight one.
Someone posted a Keller jig, I think I might try to get it.
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:25:14 +0000, Andy Dingley

I got both router bits with mine. Can be used for box joints also.

The Jet is a decent jig for the money. I just finished 24 drawer boxes with it and had great results. The manual however absolutely sucks. Do not follow its instructions on bit height. Also there is a formula for determining the fence placement from the front of the jig. This too is wrong and wont work. This is all documented over at Amazons website. Several users had the same complaints. With a few test cuts in some scrap material though its east to dial it in on your own, it took me about half an hour of fooling with it and afterwards I never did a thing througout all 24 drawers.
Jim

18 months ago, I bought a Rockler (clone) jig to do my first dovetails in my first drawer. 5 hours later, with the help of two experienced instructors, we had a drawer. When I tried it again two weeks later, at home, I put it away in frustration.
I gave it away this winter when I was cleaning my shop, and a friend of my sons' expressed an interest in it.
Not that I gave up on dovetails. When I couldn't use the Rockler jig effectively for what I wanted to do, I headed to Woodcraft, intending to buy the Keller or similar jig. The Akeda came home with me instead. 45 minutes to rubber mallet tight through dovetails on a small toolchest I was building.
A good jig, or most good tooling, is an investment. A 'cheapie' is often the path to frustration. If I wanted frustration, I'd turn the lights off in the shop, and come inside and watch CNN.
If you feel that you shouldn't spend the money for the better tool, then Andy is right. Cut them by hand. Supposedly better for the soul anyhow.
Patriarch

I bought the Lee Valley dovetail guides last year for the small amount of dovetailing I do. It works great and is well worth the price; I highly recommend it. It's a thousand times more versatile than any jig, and set up is minimal. Practice a few times on some scrap, and you're ready to go! Here's the link: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageA718&category=1,42884
First time I seen it, the Akeda jig, I fell in love with it! It's easy to set up and easy to use. My question Patriarch, have you tried any other bits besides the "Akeda" bits? I was wondering if they had to be their brand. It don't matter, I have all the sizes, but thinking ahead when the get dull or whatever, trying to use an off the wall brand.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

My Akeda bits are still sharp enough for what I want to do. My understanding, however, is that these are somewhat different than 'standard'. If Akeda doesn't get back up and running, I would hope that Woodcraft, their exclusive US distributor, would make some arrangement to carry replacement pieces.
I would hope. It's a neat jig, and I'd like to use it for years to come.
Patriarch
My bits are still in good shape also, but I was just wondering. That's what I though. Thanks.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
I've been told that Akeda dovetails jigs would resume production "real soon." This from the President of Akeda, Kevan Lear.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

I've had similar emails for the past 4 months.... I noticed it has been dropped from the Woodcraft catalog - I believe they were the only US distributor. I expect I will be ordering a Leigh.
Larry Kraus wrote:

They are on the woodcraft web site. When you click on buy there is a message saying that they will not ship until after June first
--
Mule-Tracks
One for the board and two for the nail
(Never Enough Money) wrote:

Certainly no shame in ordering a Leigh. Were I buying today, given what has happened to Akeda, I would make the same decision.
I am a better, more confident woodworker than I was a year ago. Not perfect, just more experienced than I used to be.
Best wished to Akeda.
Patriarch
I recently purchased the Rockler DT Jig as well. I found it pretty easy to use. I had never routed or hand cut dovetails before. After an hour or two, I had a nice tightly joined drawer.
I would suggest purchasing the aluminum template. The plastic one that come with it is really flimsy (but useable).
CC

was