Cheap -and I mean *cheap*- table saw

Dropped by the local Lowe's to get some glass for SWMBO's latest painting ($5.79 custom cut at Lowe's versus >$25 for the same thing at th frame shop). While the glass was being cut, I wandered over to the tool section and found their latest addition: a 10-inch benchtop tablesaw for $39.

I didn't give it too close a lookover (the tears in my eyes from laughing made it hard to see), but from what I could tell, it looked to be worth every penny. The fence locks at an odd compound angle (closer to the saw at the back than at the fiont, too), and the color scheme of this plastic wonder -bright blue and yellow- would handsomely compliment the decor of a Cub Scout den--though I don't know any Cub Scouts who'd settle for something this... um...

I'm at a loss for words.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

Cheap bastard

Reply to
StacyW

Gay? Tom. Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

How much did it weigh? You can't buy a boat anchor for 40 bucks.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Some engineer in China spend his entire career designing a fence to do crown molding cuts and you are dissing it. You should be ashamed. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Swingman" said

Seeing how much plastic went into its construction, I wouldn't be surprised if it floats.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

A built-in taper jig?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Sure you weren't in the....oh, yeah, Lowe's doesn't have a toy section.

Reply to
BUB 209

Hey, I think there might be a great cable TV show in here somewhere... Turn 3 or 4 guys loose over a long weekend with $200 to spend on tools and materials. The idea would be to see who could turn out the nicest piece of fine furniture using basically crappy tools. Maybe each show could have a theme like bookcases, end tables, etc. I'm as big a tool snob as the next guy, but it would be kind of fun to see what could be done with some creative thinking. The producers might however however hit a snag getting Bridge City or Lie-Nielsen to sign on as sponsors.

Richard Johnson Camano Island, WA

Reply to
Rich-in-WA

We don't let Cub Scouts play with table saws anyway. I'm pretty sure the BSA's insurance policy wouldn't cover that one. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Aw, hell, I thought it was pretty much one big toy store.Discount toy warehouse as opposed to the REAL toy stores like Lee Valley or Woodcraft - kinda like Toys-R-Us as compared to FAO Schwarz.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

I see a great cable TV reality show in here somewhere. Turn four guys loose over five days with 250 bucks to spend on tools and materials. See who can built the best piece of fine furniture using nothing but crappy el-cheapo tools and modest woods. Each week could have a theme like bookshelves, tables, etc. I'm as big a tool snob as the next guy, but it might be interesting to see what could be done with major doses of creativity and skill. It might even get a few people started in woodworking who might otherwise be intimidated by the up-front costs. The producers could however hit a snag signing on Lie-Nielsen or Bridge City as sponsors :~)

Richard Johnson Camano Island, WA

Reply to
Rich-in-WA

I think you have a winner here.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Junk Yard Wars for Woodworkers. Who will get the Chippendale-style high boy completed first on a budget of only $250?

Interesting.

Reply to
Silvan

It's called 'Toolbox Challenge" I think. If you can stomach the flamboyant personalities of the hosts, it makes a decent show. The last one I saw had guys making a bunkbed with a wet bar underneath. They used dadoed joints made on the ts and then by hand when they lost their ts. You end up 'losing' tools as time goes by.... They steal each other's sticks too... kinda entertaining... I don't recall much of a focus towards fine ww as much as 'guessing' the riddle and being as close to the prototype as possible (the teams don't see the prototype... they just get the riddle and the sticks).

I have caught it on HGTV but it may get aired all over the place...

Take care,

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

Probably academic though. I'm just not a TV watcher. I don't even know what channel anything is anymore, and it takes me an hour just to stumble across the weather channel.

I hope I never run out of things to do and get bored enough to turn on the tube, but if I do, I'll try to check out "Toolbox Challenge." I think we get HGTV.

I'll ask SWMBO. The TV is her best friend in the world. She'd watch a different TV with each eye if she could.

I should buy her a Tivo for Christmas. Hmmm... That's maybe a good thought.

Reply to
Silvan