Charlie Self, the major woodworking magazine contributor shows off his literary style once again.

Page 2 of 3

There was a time when I thought powerlessness referred to the Neanderthal wooddorking practice of avoiding power tools. Thanks for the reminder, Michael. Welcome to this meeting of BAD Baiters Anonymous.
Hi, I'm Paddy, and I'm a BAD-Baiter.
(all say) "Hi Paddy!"
O'Deen
Paddy Olguin responds:

I apologize in advance, but I can't resist:
"Hi, Master!"
Charlie Self "The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny
You "beat" me to it.
Art

I respect anyone who can admit to what they've done. I'm not saying I'd buy you a beer, but I'll give credit where/when it is due.
dave
Patrick Olguin wrote:

On 4 May 2004 08:00:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:

1. We admitted we were powerless over BAD and that our filters had become unmanageable.
Regards, Tom.

2. Came to believe that an nntp client greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of tn as we understood it.
4. Made a searching and fearless google search of our rec.norm postings.
5. Admitted to the Cabal, to ourselves and to another rec.normer, the exact nature of our BAD-Baiting.
6. Were entirely ready to have Larr remove all of our feed-the-troll proclivities.
7. Humbly asked tn to mark all BAD threads as read.
8. Made a list of all rec.normers we had flamed, and became willing to make amends to all but BAD.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, especially if we'd mentioned that dealing with BAD was like flicking a crusty booger.
10. Continued to take personal inventory of our lumber, tools and finishing supplies, and when we BAD-baited instead of tool/project gloated, we promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through planing and medication to deny BAD's existence, asking only for knowledge of the tn man page and the power to "nroff -man | more" that to our screen.
12. Having had a Neanderthal wooddorking awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other rec.normers, and to practice these principles at least once in a while.
Thanks for letting me share.
O'Deen
On 5 May 2004 15:18:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:
<snipaliscious>

<snipatrocity>
Having read this, I am so emotional just now that I am sure that I will not express myself well but,
Didn't Boy Dave once say that he had "baited breath"?
Just checking in.
And thanks for sharing.
Regards, Tom.
could be. Just like Charlie once wrote an article entitled "Hand drill...", but blamed it on his editor, when pressed for an explanation. Way to go Charlie. Don't you love a guy who blames others for his screw ups? He couldn't just admit he blew it. That would be the mark of someone with class.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

: could be. Just like Charlie once wrote an article entitled : "Hand drill...", but blamed it on his editor, when pressed : for an explanation.
Please provide details. Or, alternatively, fuck off.
    -- Andy Barss
Don't know who coined these but they are great!
WoodworkerDan Dan Harriman

Agreed! I actually UN-plonked him for a couple weeks, just to see what all the shootin' was about. Couldn't take any more, returned him to the bit bucket.
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

Bait bucket?
I had him plonked here and in rec.digital.photo, but he sneaked by in the photo group with one of his brilliant denunciations on a subject in which he had neither interest nor knowledge. So he pissed me off, something I don't usually allow to happen. Normally, I'm off his back because he seems like a very sad case, but this time....
Charlie Self "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Disraeli as quoted by Mark Twain

all
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/go01.html
bit bucket: n. [very common] 1. The universal data sink (originally, the mythical receptacle used to catch bits when they fall off the end of a register during a shift instruction). Discarded, lost, or destroyed data is said to have gone to the bit bucket. On Unix, often used for /dev/null. Sometimes amplified as the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky. 2. The place where all lost mail and news messages eventually go. The selection is performed according to Finagle's Law; important mail is much more likely to end up in the bit bucket than junk mail, which has an almost 100% probability of getting delivered. Routing to the bit bucket is automatically performed by mail-transfer agents, news systems, and the lower layers of the network. 3. The ideal location for all unwanted mail responses: "Flames about this article to the bit bucket." Such a request is guaranteed to overflow one's mailbox with flames. 4. Excuse for all mail that has not been sent. "I mailed you those figures last week; they must have landed in the bit bucket." Compare black hole. This term is used purely in jest. It is based on the fanciful notion that bits are objects that are not destroyed but only misplaced. This appears to have been a mutation of an earlier term 'bit box', about which the same legend was current; old-time hackers also report that trainees used to be told that when the CPU stored bits into memory it was actually pulling them "out of the bit box". See also chad box. Another variant of this legend has it that, as a consequence of the "parity preservation law", the number of 1 bits that go to the bit bucket must equal the number of 0 bits. Any imbalance results in bits filling up the bit bucket. A qualified computer technician can empty a full bit bucket as part of scheduled maintenance. The source for all these meanings, is, historically, the fact that the chad box on a paper-tape punch was sometimes called a bit bucket.
James....
On Mon, 03 May 2004 18:50:57 -0500, J&KCopeland wrote:

You didn't mention WOM - Write Only Memory
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

the
<Snippage of definition>
ROTFLMAO!
Thank you Jim. I worked in the industry for some 27yr.(NCR Corp. large system maintenance), and had never heard the *official* definition.
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.
Sun, May 2, 2004, 10:33pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) for some stange reasons burbles: <snip of totally nonsensical stuff>
Drop by for a few minutes, and see this petty crap. Amazing, absolutely amazing. But, when you consider the source!
Well, Homer, can't see why you would feel the need to ever post something like this, especially from another newsgroup here, like that. If you've got a hardon for Charlie, why not take it to e-mail? I've got a recipe for dried frog pills, if you're out. Or, perhaps they could spare some from the Bursar's supply.
As far as the other guy, well, I'm a veteran too, a bit over 20 years in my case, Army. But, I don't see any reason to doubt Charlie's word he was a marine. You might want to pass this along to him (not Charlie), it's Chosin Reservoir. The "res.", he put out there, is a thing, according to my dictionary. So when he writes Chosen Res., he's actually writing about a choice of a thing. Who says spelling doesn't matter?
Sometimes it takes boiling it down to one succinct word, to get a point across. I don't know Charlie face to face, but we've had a few friendly e-mail conversations. I have no idea if we'd hit it off in person, but as of now, I have a favorable opinion of him, as I do with about everyone else here. Plus, I'm impressed with Charlie's writing skills. However, you do go out of your way to overstep the bounds, don't you? So, to you, I say, succinct word you.
JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. - Phil Pastoret
I got tired of seeing his foul-mouthed posts. period.
don't like me mentioning it here? tough. plonk me, or live with it and quit your whining.
dave
J T wrote:

Mon, May 3, 2004, 2:27pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) burbled: I got tired of seeing his foul-mouthed posts. period. don't like me mentioning it here? tough. plonk me, or live with it and quit your whining.
Homer, Homer, Homer. By now, even you should know I don't whine.
You must really be keeping close tabs on the man. Personally I don't recall him saying such words here. But, I wasn't keeping track either. Be easy enough to check. If I was interested. Which, I'm not.
Plonk you? Well, as I've informed you before, WebTV does not have that capability. Perhaps one day. Still, even as rude, crude, and lewd, as you are, I'm not sure if I would plonk you, even if I had the capability; you are kinda fascinating, in a morbid sort of way. But, meanwhile, I suggest you try a aeronautical interaction at a revolving toroidal shaped pastry.
Or, you could simply "know" yourself.
JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. - Phil Pastoret
lewd??? Me?? you GOTTA be kidding, JOATY! sometimes rude; never lewd. can you stop spreading lies??
dave
J T wrote:

Tue, May 4, 2004, 1:19am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) whines: lewd??? Me?? you GOTTA be kidding, JOATY! sometimes rude; never lewd. can you stop spreading lies??
Well Homer, it was/is an opinion. And, seems to be pretty well backed up pretty well by the dictionary. So, lewd it was, and lewd it is. "lewd" From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Lewd \Lewd\ (l[=u]d), a. [Compar. (-[~e]r); superl. .] [. lewed, lewd, lay, ignorant, vile, <snip> 2. Belonging to the lower classes, or the rabble; idle and lawless; bad; vicious. [Archaic] --Chaucer.
We'll take a group vote. Does that, or does that not describe Homer, AKA Bay Area Dave?