Charlie Self's Socks

anything you can do to make them stop? :) That would be fine with me! It's always amazed me that the miscreants keep writing that I want attention. If that's the case why do I not care when the miscreant crowd plonks me. That's my PREFERENCE. sheesh!

dav

dave

Dave H> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

same old same old. you really are in a rut.

dave

Tom Wats> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Not the redgum from Oz but the tree with the star-haped leaves that looks like a sweetgum until Fall when the leaves turn deep purple.

Does anybody out there work much with redgum? There's a sawyer down in Southern Maryland who has a lot of it. I've notice that a lot of the redgums around here are getting sick and dying and have al ot of fungus growing on them so I figure there must be a lot of spalted wood in them.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Not yet, who anre where's the sawyer? S MD isn't too far a drive for some neat wood. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Red The Red Shirt asks:

Can't help you with the spalted wood, but you might consider the following: "Ribbon stripes are common because of the interlocked grain, which makes the wood mildly hard to work (it will knock the edges off your non-carbide tools fairly quickly, but otherwise it works very well), but exceptionally beautiful. Texture is uniform, wide boards are available, the wood is strong and stiff, there is no problem with splitting, glues work well, it holds detail at the edges (edges stay nice and sharp unless you really want to round them). It does not steam bend well, but overall red gum is a fantastic wood that is seldom used by hobby woodworkers."

Quoting myself there. In other words, go for it.

Charlie Self "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Maryland Forest Products in Nanjemoy, MD, on the Potomac.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

charliediy stumbles:

Sorry, Fred. I'd smack my offending hand, but it already hurts. Too much time with the brush flail..can I call that a weed whacker without offending our resident censor?

Charlie Self "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Fred the Red Shirt wrote: Maryland Forest Products in Nanjemoy, MD, on the Potomac. Thanks, I check them out as soon as I can manage it.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Well mttt I use web tv by choice. Yes I do have a puter. You must have a problem with an inferiority complex. I sure hope you seek help soon. By the way, mine IS bigger than yours.

Reply to
Gothumbs

Hey Tom, If you don't like this group, why don't you start your own? Would anyone come? You're suposely a pro woodworker, why not act like one? Do some woodworking instead of talking trash.

Reply to
Gothumbs

Gothumbs blurts:

Probably not more than 3-4 Toms on here.

Why are you on here insulting people instead of out playing with your wood?

Charlie Self "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Gothumbs babbles:

You sure as hell aren't talking about IQs.

Charlie Self "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie, DFTT!

Having nothing better to do this morning after getting ready for church, I just got curious, so spent a little *giggle* time. Mr. Thumbs apparently has made a total of 16 posts to Usenet in the last 5 yr., first to alt.homerepair, and then to the wRECk, not prolific in either arena. However, his last 4 posts have been in the last week or so, 1 to congratulate someone on their shop, the other 3 to rant & rave about you, TW, other regulars on the group, or what he calls the "in" crowd, and apparently to commiserate with BAD. Seems like Thumbs, BAD, the Dizum dodo and some others, all lumped into TWSRUN, are about the same caliber people we used to put up with in CB radio. They figured they could spew whatever filth they felt like because they were hiding behind the anonymity of the microphone, while the new ones think they can hide behind the anonymity of the net.

I don't remember right this instant exactly who said what, BUT - - there were comments made about people being on the public tit, as if anyone using the 'net has no job or life otherwise. WRONG!!! There are some on the wRECk who are retired, disabled, etc., but for the one who was complaining about them living off *his* paycheck, just remember something - most of those you seem to hold in such disdain (including me) have had long productive careers, and worked damned hard all our lives! When you've expended the time & effort & experience we have, then you will have the right to complain about how we live, until then, just SHUT UP!

I find it difficult to believe any of them have ever read Davy Eisan's mini-FAQ about our group being like a bunch of guys gathered around the coffee pot BSing about ww'ing and whatever else comes to mind. We joke, pick on each other, pick on newbies, make them *work* a little to be accepted, but still try to answer their questions. Occasionally, in ANY group, someone will show up who is just an irritating A**HOLE, who for some reason cannot seem to get along with anyone, who continually spouts inane, assinine blather that does nothing except aggravate people. Sometimes these people are easily identified TROLLS, other times they are as above, irritating A**HOLES, which in some ways are harder to put up with than trolls, because they don't quite fit the troll mold, but display a lot of the same characteristics, yet you want to try and be kind to them, until you've been s**t on enough times that you don't care any more, then they join the killfile or TWSRUN.

Well, I think I've wasted enough webspace for today. Rant/off.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Nahmie notes:

There are people who are disabled and who woodwork and who post. I guess they draw checks of some kind or another--SSI? What the hell does Mr. Thumbs think they should do? Shut up and die? I work full time (well, sort of: this year, I've been going something like 60-70 hours a week to repair damage to my business caused by my attempt to "go corporate"), so his insistance that we "get a life" finds me without the time to look for one.

His telling Tom to act like a pro is laughable. This guy should know some of the pro woodworkers I've known! Tom is super mild, a really sweet guy (Jaysus, am I going to catch it for that one!).

Yeah, and that's one of the best parts of this NG. Anyone who is truly interested in woodworking is welcome to become one of the "regulars". Regardless of what Mr. Thumb thinks, there is no absolute requirement that they be on the "public tit". A full-time job is acceptable. But it is also not demanded. Part-time works. Housewives and househusbands are also welcome. Is househusbands one word?

My contribution to wasted web space.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self