Charlie Self's Socks

Page 1 of 2
I swear they told me to go and fuck m*s*lf.
I'm telling you they did.
UA100
LOL!!!! Keeter, keeter, keeter. My laugh for the day. You got that new writer I was suggesting you hire??
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

UA100 noticed:

Sure did. Purple, too.
Charlie Self "An unfulfilled vocation drains the color from a man's entire existence." Honore de Balzac

"Sitting by the stream Corn encrusted poo floats by Bay Area Dave"
(this haiku by c. potts is da bombe)
Regards, Tom.
seems YOUR writer has resorted to re-runs. Just how much mileage did he expect from a few kernels of corn, Tommy-Boy? Keeter's got him a new writer; now it's time for you to pony up and get some new talent. The current writer is way past his prime.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Do any of you guys have a life?

John, Living solely for happiness - avarice - is wrong. Not in the moral sense - many great things have been achieved through greed. I am speaking here not only of the "base" desires that led to the invention of fire, but more refined desires, such as the desire for freedom, the desire for knowledge, even the desire for higher intelligence. The only reason to do a thing is because it is right. There is no end which we ought to pursue even if we knew it to be wrong. Living for happiness is wrong in the logical sense - whether avarice walks paths that are noble or mean, it is a sign of a disorganized philosophy. Goals have to be justified.
The second theory might be called "confusion" - roughly, the belief that we can't really be certain what's going on, because the human species isn't smart enough to Figure It All Out. Confusion is the simplest of all philosophies, and the most durable. It is the one that assumes the least; by Occam's Razor, the strongest. Confusion is the underpinning of altruism and the last refuge of a Singularitarian under fire. Avarice shades into confusion through the hope that a superintelligence will explain things to you; confusion shades into altruism through the hopes that a superintelligence will know and do, whether or not it chooses to explain.
Altruism supplies direction. Altruism can provide a full, logical justification for a course of action. The price of that is the loss of simplicity. Only altruism qualifies as a genuine Meaning of Life Altruism is the simplest explanation that relates choices to reality; confusion is the simplest explanation that relates choices to mind.
You should get up in the morning because you will make the Universe a better place. Or rather, you will make it more likely that humanity's successors will make it a better place. Same cause-and-effect relation; the length of the chain of events doesn't matter.
Oh wait - you're another WebTV user?
Sorry. Here's yours:
John,
F**k off.
mttt responds:

I love it.
Except some web tv users are intelligent. Course that's probably what the Martians said when they first landed on earth: Some of them are sentient. Then they took a few of our cats and left.
Charlie Self "The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Or, as Shaw said, "intelligence is an experiment that failed."
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Well, mttt, you got me. I use webtv by choice, while sitting six feet from my computer. I can skim through the latest 1500 posts to this NG in a matter of minutes. Can you do that? You do a lot of talking to show that you are also a man (?) of word.
John, can you give me the short version of MTTT's long winded post? I couldn't get past the first paragraph... did it make any sense or was he in a fugue state again?
dave
John wrote:

Sorry, Dave. Didn't get very far myself. It was like he was doing the spray paint in a paper bag thing. How's the weather? Lived 16 years in Sebastopol. Enjoyed the predictable weather, and remember at one time (it's been a while) buying 8 foot redwood 2x4s at three for a dollar.
John, the weather is GREAT! It's been in the 80's and 90's lately. Several days of hot weather broke all time records about 2 weeks ago.
I lived in Novato and Petaluma (Chickentuma <g>) back in the 70's. What a great area of the Bay Area. If I could afford it, I'd move back up there.
Three for a dollar? That's before I bought any! :)
Where are you at now?
dave
John wrote:

Hey Dave, in Arkansas now, surrounded by pine and red oak. Used to fly in and out of the old Marin Co. (grass) and new airport, also Petaluma, Santa Rosa and all the Bay area airports, and seaplanes at Sausalito. Lots of fun but all good things must come to an end.
Re: this NG. Remember, you are swimming with sharks.
John, I never flew a seaplane. Never even BEEN in a seaplane. All my flying was done out of Reid Hillview and San Jose Airport. and I did a few cross wind landings at a tiny airfield south of San Jose. Can't remember it's name. No control tower, potholes everywhere and WINDY as hell.
thanks for the reminder. :)
dave
John wrote:

<sigh> Last post from me on this subject. Have you been here long? There's a long running, fairly amusing thread about WebTV users. Kind'a like we used to poke fun @ AO Lusers. Second, your post and mine were quite similar in that neither added any value to the 'net. I just used up a few more bytes on a sector on a hard drive. Not sure what enticed you into a reply on this thread, especially a "get a life" rejoinder that I haven't heard in quite some time. Third, I don't know whether I'm able (capable) of skimming through 1500 posts in a matter of minutes but I'm pretty sure I don't want the ability. Fourth, when UA100, TW or CS post, I *always* read them, and I usually enjoy them. Finally, are you unsure of the spelling of "man" or are you wondering about whether I have 2 X's or an XY pair? [ Can't keep "gender" and "sex" straight, so I prefer to drop [to] the genes. ]
Well mttt I use web tv by choice. Yes I do have a puter. You must have a problem with an inferiority complex. I sure hope you seek help soon. By the way, mine IS bigger than yours.
Gothumbs babbles:

You sure as hell aren't talking about IQs.
Charlie Self "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers

Charlie, DFTT!
Having nothing better to do this morning after getting ready for church, I just got curious, so spent a little *giggle* time. Mr. Thumbs apparently has made a total of 16 posts to Usenet in the last 5 yr., first to alt.homerepair, and then to the wRECk, not prolific in either arena. However, his last 4 posts have been in the last week or so, 1 to congratulate someone on their shop, the other 3 to rant & rave about you, TW, other regulars on the group, or what he calls the "in" crowd, and apparently to commiserate with BAD. Seems like Thumbs, BAD, the Dizum dodo and some others, all lumped into TWSRUN, are about the same caliber people we used to put up with in CB radio. They figured they could spew whatever filth they felt like because they were hiding behind the anonymity of the microphone, while the new ones think they can hide behind the anonymity of the net.
I don't remember right this instant exactly who said what, BUT - - there were comments made about people being on the public tit, as if anyone using the 'net has no job or life otherwise. WRONG!!! There are some on the wRECk who are retired, disabled, etc., but for the one who was complaining about them living off *his* paycheck, just remember something - most of those you seem to hold in such disdain (including me) have had long productive careers, and worked damned hard all our lives! When you've expended the time & effort & experience we have, then you will have the right to complain about how we live, until then, just SHUT UP!
I find it difficult to believe any of them have ever read Davy Eisan's mini-FAQ about our group being like a bunch of guys gathered around the coffee pot BSing about ww'ing and whatever else comes to mind. We joke, pick on each other, pick on newbies, make them *work* a little to be accepted, but still try to answer their questions. Occasionally, in ANY group, someone will show up who is just an irritating A**HOLE, who for some reason cannot seem to get along with anyone, who continually spouts inane, assinine blather that does nothing except aggravate people. Sometimes these people are easily identified TROLLS, other times they are as above, irritating A**HOLES, which in some ways are harder to put up with than trolls, because they don't quite fit the troll mold, but display a lot of the same characteristics, yet you want to try and be kind to them, until you've been s**t on enough times that you don't care any more, then they join the killfile or TWSRUN.
Well, I think I've wasted enough webspace for today. Rant/off.
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

There are people who are disabled and who woodwork and who post. I guess they draw checks of some kind or another--SSI? What the hell does Mr. Thumbs think they should do? Shut up and die? I work full time (well, sort of: this year, I've been going something like 60-70 hours a week to repair damage to my business caused by my attempt to "go corporate"), so his insistance that we "get a life" finds me without the time to look for one.
His telling Tom to act like a pro is laughable. This guy should know some of the pro woodworkers I've known! Tom is super mild, a really sweet guy (Jaysus, am I going to catch it for that one!).

Yeah, and that's one of the best parts of this NG. Anyone who is truly interested in woodworking is welcome to become one of the "regulars". Regardless of what Mr. Thumb thinks, there is no absolute requirement that they be on the "public tit". A full-time job is acceptable. But it is also not demanded. Part-time works. Housewives and househusbands are also welcome. Is househusbands one word?
My contribution to wasted web space.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce