Charlie Self

Page 3 of 3

Dave Mundt wrote: snip of rant

You've forgotten a huge one in this area. Free medical care for any and all. As long as they aren't from the US or working for a living. We have piles of people flown in from all over the world with their med hx and the cab fare to the hospital. Or the ones who come to visit every time the want free drugs and hot & cold running nurses. /rant off
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Health care - no matter what form it took, has always been a "profit center". Even the family doctor of old who holds such an emotional place in our imaginations, was in it for the profit. Profit all by iteslf is not contrary to good health care.

I would be inclined to agree that malpractice is not the problem the health care industry would have us believe. Certainly, there is some problem within that industry which the industry should be held accountable to and for which significant awards have been made, but like you, I question what percentage of the take this really represents.

Not so sure I agree with this point at all.

Insurance companies have *always* been a for profit venture. They did this by spreading risk, but it has always been for the purpose of profit and not for any other reason.

Alas - the fundamental principle of profit. Not so different from what everyone with a 401K expects from the companies that their money is invested in.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

hanging quarantine signs, I disput the profit motive. I'm sure there were some thus motivated, but I personally knew one who practiced where payment was in corn, chickens, and the occasional crumpled dollar. And several who opted for low incomes by practicing in rural and small city areas and setting their prices to what people could afford.

Also not true. The first insurance companies were cooperative ventures of "spreading the risk" among merchants. They were protecting their profits, but the "company" per se made no profits.

at least slightly immoral. A doctor making a decent living is one thing, a giant corporation milking the ailing is another.
And BTW, get well Charlie!

says...

Indeed, the "Blues," which began as the insurer of last resort are a not-for-profit outfit here in MI. They tried to change it, but got whacked soundly.
OTOH, hospitals which are not-for-profit have a way of expanding endlessly into new markets and growing in equipment in order to spend the money that would otherwise show as "profit," and cause them to get whacked.
Charlie Self wrote:

I think that current health care keeps you alive, it justs makes you wish you were dead!

Yup. Politicians.
jmac

Glad you're out of hospital, Charlie. Them places is full of sick people!
Hope you got it fixed and can get back in the game pretty quick.
Bob Schmall wrote:

Get Well right quick there!
Renata