Changing out spindle on Craftsman drill press

I just inherited a 1960s vintage Craftsman drill press from my grandfather. It seems to be in good condition except that it has noticible runout. I borrowed a dial guage and measured .006" at the end of the spindle and .025" at the attached taper. Evidently the taper has been bent. I ordered a replacement spindle assembly and spindle bearing from Sears.
So now I'm wondering how do I get the old spindle out of the quill and get the new spindle back in? I have searched for books or web articles on this prodedure and have come up empty. Any advice would be appreciated. How big a job is this, can it be handled by a novice with no special tools?
Thanks, Kurt
On 15 Jan 2005 12:02:47 -0800, "Kurt Heninger"

Try searching the archives of rec.crafts.metalworking. They discuss the subject on a regular basis.
If it is no different than mine, just use a pry bar (big, long screw driver) inserted in the vertical slot on the side of the spindle.
This function is usually accomplished with a triangle shaped drift pin and a hammer. As you inherited your drill, I am assuming that you do not have the drift pin.
If at all possible, you might check grandfather's tool bin for it or look to Sears for a replacement. The drifts have not really changed over the years.
When you put in the new quill, be sure to line up the slots for the pin and
DO NOT DRIVE THE NEW QUILL HOME.
Gently press the quill into its mount by depressing the drill head into a stout piece of wood.
Hope this helps some.
--
PDQ --
| I just inherited a 1960s vintage Craftsman drill press from my | grandfather. It seems to be in good condition except that it has | noticible runout. I borrowed a dial guage and measured .006" at the end | of the spindle and .025" at the attached taper. Evidently the taper has | been bent. I ordered a replacement spindle assembly and spindle bearing | from Sears. | | So now I'm wondering how do I get the old spindle out of the quill and | get the new spindle back in? I have searched for books or web articles | on this prodedure and have come up empty. Any advice would be | appreciated. How big a job is this, can it be handled by a novice with | no special tools? | | Thanks, | Kurt |

way. If yours is close, I can scan the directions for you.
Hey George,
My model number is 113.24540. I wouldn't be surprised if they are fairly similar. If you would be so kind as to scan and email those directions to me at k snipped-for-privacy@kgheninger.com I'd appreciate it. - Kurt