Changing out spindle on Craftsman drill press

I just inherited a 1960s vintage Craftsman drill press from my grandfather. It seems to be in good condition except that it has noticible runout. I borrowed a dial guage and measured .006" at the end of the spindle and .025" at the attached taper. Evidently the taper has been bent. I ordered a replacement spindle assembly and spindle bearing from Sears.

So now I'm wondering how do I get the old spindle out of the quill and get the new spindle back in? I have searched for books or web articles on this prodedure and have come up empty. Any advice would be appreciated. How big a job is this, can it be handled by a novice with no special tools?

Thanks, Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Heninger

Try searching the archives of rec.crafts.metalworking. They discuss the subject on a regular basis.

rcook5

If it is no different than mine, just use a pry bar (big, long screw = driver) inserted in the vertical slot on the side of the spindle.

This function is usually accomplished with a triangle shaped drift pin = and a hammer. As you inherited your drill, I am assuming that you do = not have the drift pin.=20

If at all possible, you might check grandfather's tool bin for it or = look to Sears for a replacement. The drifts have not really changed = over the years.

When you put in the new quill, be sure to line up the slots for the pin = and=20

DO NOT DRIVE THE NEW QUILL HOME.

Gently press the quill into its mount by depressing the drill head into = a stout piece of wood.

Hope this helps some.

--=20

PDQ

-- =20 "Kurt Heninger" wrote in message = news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... | I just inherited a 1960s vintage Craftsman drill press from my | grandfather. It seems to be in good condition except that it has | noticible runout. I borrowed a dial guage and measured .006" at the = end | of the spindle and .025" at the attached taper. Evidently the taper = has | been bent. I ordered a replacement spindle assembly and spindle = bearing | from Sears. |=20 | So now I'm wondering how do I get the old spindle out of the quill and | get the new spindle back in? I have searched for books or web articles | on this prodedure and have come up empty. Any advice would be | appreciated. How big a job is this, can it be handled by a novice with | no special tools? |=20 | Thanks,=20 | Kurt |

Reply to
PDQ

Got a model #? I'm on a 113.213780 15 1/2 incher, and it's circlips all the way. If yours is close, I can scan the directions for you.

Reply to
George

Hey George,

My model number is 113.24540. I wouldn't be surprised if they are fairly similar. If you would be so kind as to scan and email those directions to me at k snipped-for-privacy@kgheninger.com I'd appreciate it.

- Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Heninger

I just inherited a 1960s vintage Craftsman drill press from my grandfather. It seems to be in good condition except that it has noticible runout. I borrowed a dial guage and measured .006" at the end of the spindle and .025" at the attached taper. Evidently the taper has been bent. I ordered a replacement spindle assembly and spindle bearing >from Sears. So now I'm wondering how do I get the old spindle out of the quill and get the new spindle back in? I have searched for books or web articles on this prodedure and have come up empty. Any advice would be appreciated. How big a job is this, can it be handled by a novice with no special tools?

Thanks, Kurt Try searching the archives of rec.crafts.metalworking. They discuss the subject on a regular basis.

Dave Carnell