change 3 phase to 1 phase on delta jointer

Need Help I own a DELTA DJ-20 8" jointer that is 3 phase I would like to change the motor and the heaters or relay coils. for single phase operation, But I can't find any detailed information on what to change in the lvc box, like the (heaters) any input would help THANKS audiowood

Reply to
audiowood

Unless you swap the current motor for a single phase one you will need 1 of the following: A "VFD" electronic device that will take single phase in and output 3 phase or a RPC- rotary phase converter -a motor and electronics that will generate the 3rd phase or a static phase converter- electronic device that will allow you to run a 3 phase motor on single phase power but will usually reduce the hp rating of the motor.

if you Google VFD or RPC you'll find lots of info on the subject you can also look at the

forum for power conversation.

enjoy

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

I have done this exact same conversion with my own DJ-20 a few years back.

  1. Find a motor. I ended up finding a new one at Farm-n-Fleet for about 5 IIRC.
  2. Decide what you want to do for controls. My jointer has push buttons for on and off that run on 24V. There is a transformer that steps the input voltage down to 24V. I could have wired in a new 120V switch, but I decided to keep the existing controls. While I would like to run this on 240V in the near future, I currently run it on 120V. This required a new transformer as the lowest input voltage on the existing one was 200V.
  3. Rewire box. I put a picture on a.b.p.w of the control box on my jointer. Basically, I treated L1 as hot and L2 as neutral. I also essentially bypassed the heaters. For the wiring, just use white everywhere and put some tape on the ends to show what color it should have been (just kidding, Doug...we can only do that here in Chicago).
  4. Wire the motor.

That was basically it. I'm no machinery or controls whiz by any means, and I got this working on the first try, so it must not be too hard. If you have any questions, I'll attempt to answer them.

todd

Reply to
todd

Well, he pretty much came out and said that's what he was going to do.

I considered this when I converted my DJ-20 to single phase, but decided against as I had no desire to run any additional 3-phase stuff. If I knew I was going to have 2+ 3-phase machines, I'd think a lot harder about it.

todd

Reply to
todd

Unfortunately a 3 phase motor requires a 3 phase power source either from the utility company or from a converter that is driven from single phase. Rewiring is not an option.

Don Dando

.

Reply to
Don Dando

One more thing...I interpreted "change the motor" to mean "replace the motor". If you thought you were going to somehow rewire it for single-phase, then as Don says, you're out of luck. If you wanted to keep the motor, then you'll have to do as Andrew suggested.

todd

Reply to
todd