chamfer my TS wings

While building a cabinet I had to cut some dados using my TS. I taped up the area to be cut with blue tape to prevent chipout on the plywood. Where I had problems was the wings on my contractor saw are not chamfered at the leading edge the way the main part of the table is. This sharp edge caught the tape and pulled it away, balled it up, etc. So I had to tape a dado, make the cut, remove the tape, tape the next, make the cut, and so on... This sharp edge does cause some resistance when cutting large pieces even without tape.

Should I file/grind a slight chamfer on the infeed side of my wings?

PS I have a router jig to make dados similar to this:

just didn't make it big enough for a 2' wide panel. I will be making a bigger one for the dresser I plan on building next.

Reply to
RayV

Take a look here.

jig is self squaring and requires no shims when using a top bearing flush trim bit.

Reply to
Leon

My Jet Cabinet saw is like that. Although it has not caused me problems, if it did, I would not hesitate to modify it as you suggest.

I could be wrong, but I'll bet that they don't chamfer it just so that the part can be symetrical, relieving them of the need for both a right and a left casting.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

The table is chamfered because it needs to be functionally so that the miter gage will not hang when starting off table.

The wings are not chamfered because the table chamfer is variable; that is it is not always the same bevel length because tables are not ground to a set block they are ground to clean up past any surface porosity. In order for the wings to match they would have to be assembled and beveled as a set. Very expensive. Consequently, wings just get a file break of the sharp edge.

It certainly won't hurt to put a bevel on the wings if you are capable of doing so.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

On my Ridgid both edges of the wings are chamfered, only the front is on the main table. I guess it's cheaper to chamfer them both than keep track of a right and left.

They don't match up perfectly on mine, but they don't have to.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I just took a file to mine. While I didn't get anywhere near the amount of chamfer as on the table, I did get the edge knocked off pretty well. It took about 15 minutes and I'm quite satisfied with results. I was a little surprised that it was as easy as it was to file down.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I would. A file should work fine on CI wings.

Reply to
lwasserm