Chalk temperature ...

Sold by WoodCraft, has anyone used Veneer Bond High Performance PVA Adhesive. Do you know the chalk temperature?
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 12/28/2012 6:58 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pro-Glue [A division of Vac-U-Clamp] 4149 Avenida de La Plata Oceanside, CA 92056 email: snipped-for-privacy@vac-u-clamp.com Toll free phone (888) 342 8262 Toll free fax # 888-357-4244
No data on the web site but I'd guess it'll be >50F and probably in the 55F neighborhood. I make that based on the comparison to TB thickset types w/ the higher solids content have highest chalk temp's in their product line. I'm guessing it's an inherent property that another will have as well despite the manufacturer.
Obviously if low chalk temp is a concern, check w/ the manufacturer. (How's that for the obvious, Karl???? :) )
The only on the market I am aware of <50F is the TB III and it's only 47F instead of 50...
On 12/28/2012 9:02 AM, dpb wrote:

Must of been a slow morning ... or you're snowed in? <g>
Thanks ... none of those resources were available by phone when I posted the question and did the web waltz myself.
That said, based on my conversation with the smartass who finally answered the phone at the manufacturer, and who dodged answering the simple question in every way possible, and never did, I hereby pass on their PVA product.
(I liked the idea of their advertised solids content of that particular product for a project I'm working on, and their touted open/assembly time, the latter a basically useless number without a chalk temperature, and I don't guess with other people's money, or my own)
Franklin publishes their information so that knowledgeable woodworkers, versed in the different types of glues, can make an informed, technologically based decision using all factors, including external ... apparently these guys don't want you to know ... they neither publish it, nor will they tell you.
So, absent any actual experience with the product, I'm sticking to what I know/or don't know. :)
Thanks again, and all the above notwithstanding:
Happy New Year up there in the SW Kansas plains ... and stay warm. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/28/2012 10:33 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

It took a while to figure out who the manufacturer/distributor really was--I actually got there by blowing up the label on a sale site large enough to read enough of the label to make out the Vac-U-Clamp name and then searched for their corporate site. I got nowhere useful looking for the glue.
I'm guessing the reason the guy wouldn't answer the question is that he couldn't and didn't want to actually admit that. I'd bet the product is only something they distribute under their label and they have nothing to do with its manufacture nor design/formulation other than specify a purpose for which they've asked for a blend to meet.
I haven't done any further looking to see if could tell who might actually be the manufacturer. Can't disagree if there's any chance one is pushing the envelope it's not worth taking a chance unless one does have the time/inclination to actually do the test themselves....
We're pretty cold (ameliorating somewhat from the other morning that was below zero actual w/ the ever-present KS present of the wind) but still highs in the 20s altho sunny and not much wind today. We got a dusting of snow--inch to two, maybe, but took all day to get that and it was so dry/powdery there's essentially no moisture unfortunately. But it came w/o too much wind and did cover the wheat which is a benefit when it got so cold may help a little on minimizing the worst winter kill that might have happened if totally bare and that cold when it's as dry as it is...
And, back'atcha on the New Year stuff, and all down TX way....I've not talked to mother's family in the Valley for a while--should do that.