Chalk board

Page 2 of 2

You might consider paint supply house. Now if you can use the write on white board, try home cheapo, just bought 4 pieces yesterday ant $4.79 each . and that is 2'X4'
Try artist and office supply stores (e.g. OfficeMax). I know I got mine at the mall (which chain store it was I can't recall). Don't use the paint. The so called "real" chalkboards you're going to find are painted hardboard, but somehow they know how to apply the paint to make it seem real. The aerosol stuff just doesn't work out, IMO.
J.
shantz wrote:

shantz wrote:

G'day Shantz, The old "What I'd do" :) Buy a piece of Masonite and cut it to your size, then purchase a tine of chalkboard paint,500 ml. Lay the Masonite flat and paint on the chalkboard paint liberally with a foam brush. Let dry the required time, cut back with 320 paper and apply another coat of paint. By applying the paint in one direction only and then lightly dragging you brush diagonal you'll end up with a near perfect surface. To keep the surface nice, you must chalk it prior to use. This just involves colouring it all over with white chalk, using the side of the stick. Once this done wipe of the chalk and away you go. If you do not chalk the board before using the first couple of things drawn on it will remain visible. hope this helps a bit
regards John
I have made four of Norm's easels and used a spray can of chalk board paint. I gave it three coats and the kids haven't worn it off yet. I also did one with a HVLP spray unit. That also gave good results.
A hint on the paper rolls. When we made the first ones we weren't internet savvy and local art stores were way to expensive. We ended up buying a roll of freezer paper that the local butcher shop used and reenrolled it into smaller rolls so it wasn't so heavy.
An internet search of art supplies will get you some rolls at a reasonable price.
Wood magazine had an article last October for an easel and listed a www.dickblick.com as a source for paper. That one did not have a chalk board.

if you don't mind a bit thinner paper, i've purchased the end rolls from my local newspaper printing plant. it's cheap, and sold by the pound.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts
Frank J. Vitale wrote:

PS. I used 1/8 inch tempered hard board. I am making a couple of more for a niece and nephew and had to go to the local lumber yard to get it. Home Depot only had the tempered in half inch. That works, but just adds more weight.
Lowe's sells a chalkboard paint from Rustoleum. I apllied it to Melamine coated fibreboard with success.