Chairmaker story in Slate magazine.

ode to the work of one chairmaker. Personally, I don't think there's anything special in his work that isn't done better by plenty of others like Sam Maloof or Brian Boggs.

Reply to
George Max

I've never paid much attention to Boggs's work, but Wegners designs were a different genre (if you can call it that) from Maloof's work.

Maloof's work stands on it's own, with it being in museums and having spawned at least 1000 chair makers emulating his designs.

The Wegner chair looks to me like it is a very comfortable chair, some Maloof emulations don't really sit well. I've seen and touched a Maloof chair, never have I sat in one. :-)

The Wegner chair reminds me of some Shaker rockers, and if you can buy one for $500, it's a good value. I really appreciate the simple, straight forward lines on the Wegner chair. I know the Maloof emulations sell for a lot more than $600.

The Wegner chair looks like a superb porch rocker to me.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

And that's why I mentioned Brian Boggs.

Reply to
George Max

George Max wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I haven't read the article yet, but I've admired Wegner's work for some time. Maybe it's that my grandfather came from the same part of the world, not many years before.

His work was made to be made in factories, and sold by the truckload, something Sam never seems to have intended, when you watch his videos. Not better, not worse, just very different.

I wasn't aware that Wegner had so recently died. Thank you for the article reference.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

"Could have been done better by Sam Maloof" is the sort of criticism I could live with...

Reply to
Andy Dingley