Chair sugestions

I am a social worker, doing some activity therapy with an 11 year old boy with some learning disability. He wants to build himself [with my help] a chair for his bed room. My skills are competent, however I want to make it reasonable simple since I don't have access to my work shop when I am with him and would like to use as many portable tools as possible so he will be part of the process. I wood appreciate suggestions for designs, pictures , plans or web sites would be great. Thanks Ian

Reply to
Ian Edwards

A while back I made a movie about using woodworking to teach learning disabled children. One of the projects was an Adirondack-type chair. Contact The Lab School in Washington, DC and see if they have an available CVD ot VHS.

Reply to
joeljcarver

I've never built a chair before, but this might not be the greatest "Starter" project. Of course, it depends on the kid. He'd probably get a big kick out of just doing some of the sanding, assembly, and maybe staining.

Is there any way you could precut most of the pieces and make a chair "kit" out of it?

Another thing.. there are some roundover hand tools at woodcraft. They are called "cornering tools" in case the link doesn't work... They aren't that expensive, and would let him do some of the work. Don't know how well they work, but they seem ok.

bf

Kreg has a chair plan using pocket screws.

Reply to
John

Do a Google search for "plywood chair plans". There are a bunch available and some look relatively easy to build.

Reply to
Charley