chair seat

I am making a chair (or several) and I am not sure as to what would be the best method of carving/routing the seat to get that comfortable feel while sitting on it. Is the a jig available for this job? Any ideas would be helpful
steve wrote:

I saw that on DIY a couple days ago...
http://www.diynet.com/diy/woodworking
hope this helps
I looked at the link but don't have the grinder tool, I guess I could use a router for that part, but it doesn't seem too easy to get it right and even, is this the way to go or does anyone know of another method?

Use a curved adze, or if you are daring, the tip of a chainsaw.
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:47:35 -0500, the inscrutable "steve"

Are you physically fit? How much additional conditioning do you want?
Travisher Scorp Adze Compass plane Riffler files Shaped rasps Shaped Angle grinder with Lancelot cutter Angle grinder with Arbortec cutter Angle grinder with sanding head.
I have a couple of extra-large gouges for sale (1-15/16 & 2" Buck, from back when that meant something) if you're interested. Carve the depression and scrape/sand to final smoothness.
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Sat, Jan 15, 2005, 8:22pm snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (steve) wants to know: I am making a chair (or several) and I am not sure as to what would be the best method of carving/routing the seat to get that comfortable feel while sitting on it. Is the a jig available for this job? Any ideas would be helpful
Personally, the only way I think a chair is really very comfortable, is either with an upholstered seat, or a seat pad.
So, I'd just make the seats flat, with a rounded front, and use a pad. But, your chair, up to you.
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
(steve) wants to know: I am making a chair (or several) and I am not sure as to what would be the best method of carving/routing the seat to get that comfortable feel while sitting on it. Is the a jig available for this job? Any ideas would be helpful
I also remember a chair in a book I saw once that had a curved seat -- the curves were cut out with a bandsaw before glueup.
I am going to try the carving/scraping method. I have four to make and I hope they turn out the same.
(steve) wants to know:

I made 8 seats for windsor chairs. I made them out of basswood. I started out with a very coarse rotary grinder tool to rough out the seat scoop area. Then I finished up with a travisher. I tried using a scorp and also a compass plane. I never had much luck with the scorp, but the compass plane worked ok, but not as well as the travisher. Some people rough out the scoop portion with an adze with a curved blade. I haven't tried that.
None of my seats are alike, but they are all close enough alike that one can hardly see any differences.
Good luck.

Besides, the differences in the seats establish that your windsor chairs are handmade. :-)
IME the trick to using a scorp is sharpening it correctly. They're not completely sharpened as you get them and even if they were you'd probably want to modify the edge somewhat.
I started with a medium round diamond hone and finished with finer grades of sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.
Once you get it sharpened, practice with it a little. I started out making trenchers out of 2" basswood. Lots of hollowing and very little of it critical.
--RC
A scorp is traditionally used to remove material from a wooden seat. It looks like a "U" with handles at the top.