Chair Rail Height

Could someone please provide me with what would be a standard height for chair rail?
Also, when picture molding is installed below the chair rail is it normally glued or nailed to the wall. On the horizontal pieces you could probably hit a couple of studs, but on the vertical the chances of hitting a stud would be very slim.
Thanks for any advice.
Jim
"Jim Jacobs" wrote in message

Generally somewhere around 32 - 36" ... measure your chairs and customize. FWIW, in a new home I spec 36".

normally
Many installers around these parts use a construction adhesive like Liquid Nails and no fasteners ... I generally ask them to do both where there is any doubt.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Hi Jim,
I installed a small picture frames around our DR beneath the chair rail about 15 years ago. I used a brad nailer and a small bead of elmers. I didn't want to use construction adhesive because of the thickness/viscosity would be too hard to work with with the relatively small molding I used. I didn't woory about hitting studs. If your molding is heavy, that would be more important.
To get a nice look, I think that it is nice to apply a tiny bead of caulk around the outside & inside, and also to have the paint color of the molding a shade or two lighter/darker than the wall color.
That's about all I know about decorating, but it looks pretty good and has never fallen off!
The chair rail height should match your chairs, somewhere in the 32-36 inch range most likely.
Lou
If this is your existing home, back the chair up against the wall and see where it touches. This is where you need protection.
RonB
Jim Jacobs wrote:

Assuming the chair rail's purpose is decorative versus functional (i.e. you're not really protecting the wall from chairs) 35" or 36" is a good height. If you're using this effectively as the top of wainscoting/wall frames, you may want to adjust it based on the ceiling height in the room. In that case, 1/3 of the room height is a good rule of thumb.
~Mark.
Ours matched the height of the chairs, based on my ignorance at the time. Didn't know there was an optimum distance other than need.
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:09:33 GMT, "Jim Jacobs"

I wouldn't think so, our old maple kitchen chairs hit the wall at 33 inches but our more formal dinning room chairs hit at 40 inches. RM~
On 28/10/2005 10:09 AM, Jim Jacobs wrote:

If it's to protect from char hitting wall, height of chair back.
If it's for aesthetics, probably the Golden mean, which for an 8' wall would be about 36.5", for a 10' wall, about 46", etc.
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:09:33 GMT, "Jim Jacobs"

We always ask the customer but if no one tells us, we put it at 32".
As far as attaching the picture molding (and chair rail) we use yellow glue and pins or nails depending on the size of the molding. One thing to consider is that use of any adhesive will pull the paper off the wall with the molding if you need to remove it when the decorator changes her mind.
Mike O.