Chair name or pictures

Recently SWMBO came to me and declared, "I need you to build me a chair." I told her, "I'm not skilled enough yet to build anything like a Windsor chair, but I do have something in mind that I could do." At this point I proceeded to describe a chair I'd seen somewhere (I don't recall where though), and she thought that would be great.

So, what I'm looking for is either the name of this particular type of chair and/or some pictures (URLs). I can't really Google this myself as I just don't know what to call this thing. But I can describe it and provide some crude ascii art.

If you were to look at the chair from the side, it might look something like this:

/-\ | | | | | | | | | | /--------------------------\ / \ | /-------------------\ | | | | | | | | | | | | |-------------------| | | |-------------------| | | | | | | \-------------------/ | \ / \--------------------------/

Essentially the sides are frames with the middle open. The tops of the frames are the arm rests. The seat bottom would connect to the vertical sections of the frame. There might also be some stretchers involved (not pictured). The seat bottom and back will probably be plywood that's upholstered.

So I have a fair idea of what one of these things looks like and how it might go together. But before I put one together, I wanted to look at some pictures of other chairs like this and then take the bits I like best to make one for SWMBO.

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael Faurot

"Michael Faurot" wrote in news:j74c44- snipped-for-privacy@usenet.news:

Taunton Press, who publishes Fine Woodworking, advertised in their last issue, a book on chairbuilding. Looled interesting. Maybe for Christmas.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

"Michael Faurot" wrote in news:j74c44- snipped-for-privacy@usenet.news:

*snip*

Personally, I'd draw it out on paper to get an idea of what it looks like, but not everyone has such a talent.

Have you tried doing Google Image searches for chair styles?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

We happen to have that style of chair for our dining room set - it's call a sled chair. A google search will bring up 100's of hits. The top part of the 'square' on the sides can be even with the seat, or high enough to be arms. The rear legs can also continue straight up to form the sides of the back rest. The seat is easy to upholster because everything just wraps around under the bottom of the seat.

You are correct that it's a good style to start with, because the "sled" design of legs has that bottom piece which braces the sides together, reducing many of the stresses on the joints in more traditional chair styles. Works best on a rug or carpet, although with chair glides (or casters) it could also work on hardwood floors.

If you don't find what you're looking for on Google, I can send pics. I recently reupholstered ours, so I have a very good idea of how these are built.

Reply to
JeffB

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Good tip. I will likely have it on some hardwood floors, so I'll plan to incorporate some leveling feet, which can then be padded with felt.

Now that I know what it's called I was able to just put "sled chair" into Google's image search and that turned up lots of great pictures.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Michael Faurot