Chair

How many of you have a chair or stool in your shop that you built or intend to build one someday (it seems like it would be a satisfying project)? Seems like the choice of one's design might say something about the person who built it (sort of reminds me of tool boxes, but most readers here probably know more about them than I do--and chairs too, for that matter).
I'm the same poster that started a thread on hammers, levels, and squares. I guess I am drawn towards simplicity. :-) I think I would design a simple, functional chair, striving to avoid a result that looked like it better belonged in the kitchen or dining room, but more improved than a spoke-shaved stump... It's sort of fun to think about.
Happy holidays, Bill
says...

I really like these Bent and Bros captain's chairs. I bought one for 40 bucks. It's worn, but it's in great shape. I'm going to use it as a pattern. I figure after the fourth or fifth chair, I'll start getting somewhat good at making them.
http://tinyurl.com/ybbw45a
Bent and Bros went out of business a few years back. They used to make the university chairs. Someone else makes them now.
sam wrote:

My wife came home with a truckload of chairs similar to that in the summer. They were an exact match to something from her family that she'd like me to repair. I've repaired things, but never a wood chair. It's a winter project, and from what I've read, there's a bit of technique to getting them back together properly, especially since they're broken. I hear Lew's epoxy calling me.
Tanus

Nice looking chair. It appears that many of the pieces were turned. If you factor out the lathe, then you may end up with a chair you won't be afraid to get saw dust on! : )

That job probably calls for some of his best clamps too!!
Bill

I would tend to agree with that. I like building (all wood, only) a certain "style" of rocking chair and other relaxing type seating, in general, (patio/porch swings). I try to avoid straight line edges and sharp corners.... Like a good, fetching woman: the mo curves, the mo betta! There are a few samples in this group: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04 /
I like repairing any kind of chair/seating.
Sonny

You're a productive person. Nice work!
Bill
Bill wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects10.htm
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 02:05:19 -0500, the infamous "Bill"

That's a nice quote, Bill. Uncle Gus was a wonderful furnituremaker, especially while he had Harvey Ellis on his payroll. My favorite piece was this bookcase: http://fwd4.me/9Kf Some day...
I always have fun reading issues of "The Craftsman", learning what things meant the most to people from a century ago.

Work, hell! I'm in decompression mode. My family (3 women of 3 generations) left this morning at 8am. A new record for this house was made. An entire roll of TP disappeared in under 20 hours. It takes me 6 to 8 weeks.
-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Believable, I suppose. We all know you're full of...
;-)
Merry Christmas, old man.
SPNAK!
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:00:45 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

THEY sure aren't...any more. ;)

Mele Kalikimaka, Gramps.

Some Papers Need A Kiss? OK, go ahead.
-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

"Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it will work. But such governments are rare — most people want to run things but want no part of the blame." — Robert A. Heinlein

Although I'm stqanding 90% of the time I use a fullly-adjustable drafting chair in my shop whenever I want to sit. The drafting chair broke 10 years ago but I found a welder to do the job for just $10.
I have built several chairs, but none for my shop. Certainly building a chair is a big challenge--lots of strange angles, curves, wood steaming, and the finished project will be subject to large forces. Also, there are plenty of chair-building tools. I have not (yet) attempted a Windsor chair, something I always wanted to build.