Chain morticer - Ryobi CM30

Anyone got any experience with chain morticers, particularly the small Ryobi?
Should I buy one that's going cheap ?
What in the world is a chain morticer? :-) I assume Lie Nielson doesn't make one.

Ryobi?

Sorta like a tiny fixed position chainsaw.
Bill.
You know what a mortise is ??? You know what a chain saw is ???
Now....try to put those together....
and this is what you get...
http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/makita/M-7104L.html
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Thanks guy's, Now I know. I wonder why Roy Underhill didn't show one in his books? It would be fun (for a while) building a timber frame house. I've always felt that the timber frame builders are highly skilled wood workers.

Pat Barber wrote:

And while you're there click on the ProtoTools image and have a look at a 16+ inch hand held circular saw!
The contractor that did my house addition used one to cut a big beam for the ceiling. At the time I'd never used anything larger than my 7 1/4 worm drive SkilSaw but I knew enough to stand way clear of that beast. The kick from the start up torque was scary enough but the sound it made after spinning up to speed wasn't just gut wrenching (sp?) - it was sphincter clenching!
Imagine a kickback where the board stays put and the saw AND operator gets thrown. THAT's a scary tool.
charlie b
I don't think "timber framing" is for the "faint of heart or "the light in the ass" category.
charlie b wrote:

charlie b wrote:

I went to a Timber framing class a few years ago http://www.timberframemag.com/TimberFramingWorkshops.htm and they had both the chain mortiser and 16" saw. One of the two had been refitted with an1/2" magnesium plate that eliminated the starting kick completely. The difference was enough that most of us would wait for it after using the standard saw one time. And the chain mortiser was lots of fun. Joe

I think kickback with that saw is pretty unlikely. the large diameter blade is being turned by a motor about the same size as a skil 77. the amount of torque at the tooth can't be too high. it *should* be pretty easy to stall....
I have a chain mortiser. It is an industrial type that I have used for several years. It works well if you keep the chipper plate ( wood) in good condition. Otherwise, you will get a breakout on the back side of the mortise.

Ryobi?