cfls again what are you guys smoking?

Just went to HD tonight. While there I looked at the LED value packs.

24.78 for 4 x 60w equiv. 29.98 for 4 x 75w equiv.

Where are those $2 bulbs? Those were the only multi pack LED's.. ECO brand. I didn't look at the 40w equiv.

but no where near what you guys are able to get.

Still too rich for my blood. At $2 I was going to replace some cfls that just don't have enough light, but at more than 6.. nah.

Reply to
woodchucker

Try 1000bulbs.com.

Reply to
krw

Better quality light, longer life, savings on electricity. Not worth the extra $4 to try one?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At that price, I'll wait for the cfl's to go. so no, and then again yes. There are some cfls that are just too dark, so I might bite if I get pissed off enough. but you guys that said HD had them for $2 a bulb in bulk, that's a good deal, that we here in western NJ don't share.

Reply to
woodchucker

$2 each

yer welcome...

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Remember the LED works in all directions and rotations and flip flop. The cfl's should be run base down.

Mart> >>> Just went to HD tonight. While there I looked at the LED value packs.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Actually the LED's have the same problem as the cfl's the transformers get heated up too. And being at the top they heat up more than with the transformer at the bottom.

Reply to
woodchucker

If there is a Frys near you they might still have the 60 watt equivalent for around 2.50 per bulb.

I replaced all the lights in a chandelier and instead of replacing bulbs in it every few months I have not had one failure in over 9 months.

Reply to
OFWW

As LED's take off look, for the wiring for home lights to be run for

12volts, with a transformer to drop for every couple rooms, or use a 12 volt battery for whole house lighting. There is no reason not to do it that way, All the lights in my motor home are 12 volt LED's and way brighter than incandescent's with less amperage draw.
Reply to
OFWW

both Lowes (Utilitech) and Home Depot (Feit) of 6packs of 60w equivalent LED bulbs for under $13...

Reply to
bnwelch

offer, not of...

Reply to
bnwelch

OFWW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't see this happening anytime soon. You may see it with under cabinet lights or something similar, but not for general room lighting. Why replace perfectly good and compatible 120V wiring with 12V wiring when it won't save you anything?

You'll probably have to keep the same size wires because of voltage drop (you can easily draw enough current with LEDs to make voltage drop an issue). Couple that with the need for transformers for a low voltage system in the house and I just don't see it happening. I'm up for civil discussion about it though. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

First time I've heard that. The CFL in our laundry room is in a ceiling fixture (the white porcelain w/chain sort). The last couple have lasted fine for 4-5 years in that orientation.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

"Unavailable". "Check other stores" link doesn't work either. "Answered Questions" suggests that these might be in a few stores, but are otherwise unavailable.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) wrote in news:n6oheg$2kk8$1 @raid.furrfu.com:

I remember reading that on a package somewhere. I just checked the Feit Electric Ecobulb Softwhite CFL package and it did not say anything about orientation.

I happened to have the package handy because I had one burn out. I'm getting 8-10 hours of use a day, and they're lasting 2-4 years. Not bad at all.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Perhaps an early old style problem, like burn-in on a monitor used to be. I only witnessed this on come old monochrome monitors at work 20~30 years ago. They had the same screen displayed 95% of the time. If you changed the screen you could easily see the burn-in. LCD and the like these days, not so much.

I have a CFL Par 40 bulb facing down on my front porch. It has been burning 24/365 for the last 5 years with only a hand full of times it may have been briefly turned off. I will say that its mate, about 6 feet away, has had spotty performance. It will not always turn back on after being turned off. I need to replace that one...

Reply to
Leon

Actually it is already starting in new custom homes, mostly in the kitchens with ceiling lamps. One transformer for each run of lamps. I checked with I thing it was GE or maybe Sylvania on this.

However, you are correct in slow coming for the majority since most lamps have the voltage reducers built into the bulb, and until the bulbs become popularly available we will be stuck with the hacked bulbs. For now most bulbs with be "replacement" self contained bulbs.

The same wire size up to the line transformer, from there to the fixtures it would depend on total wattage and voltage used. The nice thing about the LED kitchen recessed lighting is that they are low in height and many easily fit into a four inch or less area for height and they run cooler overall.

Reply to
OFWW

There are *lots* of reasons to not do it that way. It's inefficient, expensive, and more work than is warranted. It takes enough copper to wire a house now, you're adding a ton more.

Reply to
krw

Interesting. The HD near me only had the eco line.

This tells me that the other HD near my office has this line. I'll see if they are there tonight on the way out of here.

Reply to
woodchucker

Check online.

60 watt equiv, $2.99

GE 60 watt equiv, 3/$10.97

Ship to store is free. Ship to home if you spend enouh $$.

Reply to
adsDUMP